Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GRAMET (merged thread)

Help wanted: how to best interpret this GRAMET?

This time my flight from Aschaffenburg (EDFC) to Berlin (EDAZ) might get interesting. It is still quite early and the weather might be totally different tomorrow morning. So I’m going to figure it out for real tomorrow in the morning. Still, I think this is an opportunity to get opinions and interpretations from all of you. The aircraft to be used is a SR22 G1 NA with regular TKS. The route (EDFC N0169VFR GED/N0169F050 IFR DCT FULNO N858 MITRU DCT OSKAT T200 LELMA VFR EDAZ) shown is what autorouter.eu just created based on the setting “shortest time” and an altitude bracket of FL40 to FL120.

What has me worried a bit is the fact that this flight would go along the freezing level. Does the GRAMET indicate there might be a chance to be between layers at the depicted altitude? But then it shows 3/4 of the sky filled with clouds. Although ice is predicated only in the green area, the “sweet” spot for it as -5C is close by and given 1:20hrs travel time, I would definitely avoid being there.

The airway N858 initially runs at 5000+, later 4000+. Last I flew to EDAZ I was asked to cancel at about 3600ft close to the destination.

Your opinions/interpretations?

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 11 May 11:15
Frequent travels around Europe

I would never fly this at 5000 feet.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I know there is a thread somewhere on this, but in the absence of stickys….is it possible to use just the Gramet function of Autorouter….in the same way it is with Ogimet?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Found it via google! It appears better than Ogimet in that you can enter lat/long for any point on earth….however I can’t get it to do anything more than from time now…..I enter days/hours in the future but it makes no difference….

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Any reason not to fly this at FL100? Or at least plan for that then stop climb when well on top if earlier?

United Kingdom

The diagram is a product of autorouter.eu. The flight level planned is also a product of autorouter.eu. It was set to “shortest time” and the software was allowed to plan anywhere between FL40 and FL120. The choice of FL50 is not mine but a suggestion by the software.

I posted to learn how all of you would interpret the depicted weather and what choice regarding flight level, etc. you would make.

An update from just now. NOTE: I did not ask for a re-route or level change but simply asked for the GRAMET again.

With that new data the choice would be an easy one now.

But I’m still interested in learning something from your interpretation of the original GRAMET, as it appears to depict some more challenging weather.

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 11 May 13:28

@ Stephan
Remember that 5000ft is the transition altitude in Germany. So you theoretically can’t file F050 – but A050 – first flightlevel would be FL60 provided QNH is 1013 or above.
Transition layer must be at least 1000ft.
I would try FL100.

Last Edited by nobbi at 11 May 13:24
EDxx, Germany

Remember that 5000ft is the transition altitude in Germany. So you theoretically can’t file F050 – but A050 – first flightlevel would be FL60 provided QNH is 1013 or above.

That is probably an interesting question for Achim.

This GRAMET is a feature of the EuroGA router, which appears on two URLs (at least)

So Achim is the one to ask. He wrote the code, I believe.

I don’t have a proper computer to look at this properly but the MSLP chart would be useful to me. Also the IR image and radar tell an important story close to the flight.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Absolutely. Never base decisions on just one MET product. Especially not if that is GRAMET, which after all is still a rather new one.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message