Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip around Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Austria

Jon Let me know if you guys are interested in visiting Budapest. If not, there are a number of smaller airports with no fees and 100LL that are in the country side with a hotel, a restaurant and some with a pool. I can give you some advice if I know what you have in mind.

KHTO, LHTL

Thanks C210_Flyer. Our plan is to do a stop off at Budaors on day two of our trip, but it’s likely to be a splash and dash stop.

I also wanted to come back and say we’re starting this trip tomorrow and to thank everyone for their input. It’s been really helpful and I’m very grateful.

If you see a formation of five G registered PA28’s over the next week, come and say hello if we’re on the ground and not looking too panicked!

Just a quick follow-up on this thread… Thanks for the help from everyone with planning, really appreciated. Everything (well nearly everything!) went really well, and we had a fantastic trip. Ten countries, 3900 miles, 25 airfields. five PA-28s and 15 crew. Seven days flying through some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Trip report is on our club blog at https://freedomaviationblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/06/romania-exped-day-1-kemble-to-letnany/

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

Thanks for posting, very interesting report !

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Great! As you said, GA doesn’t get much better than that.

Nice to see you did all those small grass airfields in Romania. I defintely want to go back there as soon as I can. Haven’t been for a long time and never to the small airfields.

Two notes on the (wonderful) report:

1. The Piper factory is obviously not in Kassel. What you saw was just a dealer and maintenance organisation.

2. What puzzles me is your flight to Jersey from Compiègne. Did you all just leave the EU and Schengen, without caring about customs?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 Nov 19:34
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

And of course from Ghimbav to Tuzla you can’t fly “a straight line over very flat and feature-less terrain” as you’ll have to pass over Carpathian mountain range.

LRSV, Romania
1. The Piper factory is obviously not in Kassel. What you saw was just a dealer and maintenance organisation.

2. What puzzles me is your flight to Jersey from Compiègne. Did you all just leave the EU and Schengen, without caring about customs?

Bosco, reading number 1 was the equivalent of finding out Santa Claus doesn’t exist. I’m gutted now :)

As for customs, good question and very observant! You’ve got me wondering now.. From memory, I think we did customs on departing Metz Nancy and the stop at the French grass airstrip was unplanned as one of the planes needed to top up on fuel before Jersey.

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

C210_Flyer wrote:

there are a number of smaller airports with no fees and 100LL that are in the country side with a hotel, a restaurant and some with a pool

Could you share which airports are you talking about? It would be interesting to know where should I plan trips to using my newly minted Hungarian PPL.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

In Romania Avgas is aviable in LRSM LRBM LRTM LRBS LRTC etc. Cheap price for landing LRSM LRBM (Aprox 15 euro). Is many grass airfield without icao code, without landig fee. Only the first landig You need to make in bigger airport because the country is non-schengen area. For the airspace restrictions consult www.aisro.ro

JnsV wrote:

C210_Flyer wrote:
there are a number of smaller airports with no fees and 100LL that are in the country side with a hotel, a restaurant and some with a pool
Could you share which airports are you talking about? It would be interesting to know where should I plan trips to using my newly minted Hungarian PPL.

Well Congratulations!

Yes The airport is Jakabszallas LHJK (VFR) another one is Kaposvar LHKV (VFR). There is a nice older Estate that you can stay at The airport operator is really nice and bends over backward to make things happen. They have parachuting there as well. Those are all free landings from my recollection. However I always try to buy fuel when Im there to support the local economy and of course have a meal. Other places Ive been that were nice was LHPP taxi to city, LHUD (VFR), LHSM taxi to baths, LHPR taxi to city LHTL (VFR) Train into Budapest. Those are all hard surface runways. Of course there are a lot of places which I have not visited. Some by choice like Liszt Ferenc LHBP and Debrecen LHDC due to their exorbitant landing/handling fees. The word at LHDC is, that one day they just decided to raise the landing fee to a couple of Hundred Euros without telling anyone. Caught quite a few people off guard because they have Customs and Immigration which is why everyone used them before leaving Eastbound or coming Westbound from Non EU or Schengen countries. I will get around to visiting some of the other hard surfaced runways eventually.

The one place that is nice is LHFM. Unfortunately there is a guy by the name of Robbi who is supposed to be in the tower but is so unprofessional Ill never fly back there again. I might post the event under hangar flying to warn others of an example of total incompetence and a danger to safety.

Let me know when you are in LHTL and we can go have a cup of coffee.

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message