Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip around Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Austria

Thanks for all the info, C210_Flyer. The story about the fee increase at LHDC is unfortunately right, they are actively driving light GA away due to their perceived “big airport” status. Living in Debrecen, I have fortunately been able to do part of my training from LHDC, but I do not count on being able to operate from there regularly.

I can add some info about airports in eastern Hungary based on my rather limited experience:
LHDC Debrecen is a former Soviet military airport now used for civilian purposes. Until two years ago they had been friendly towards light GA and there was even a local club operating out of there, but currently fees are exorbitant and you will not really be welcome if arriving in anything smaller than a business jet. From this December WizzAir will base a plane here. Commercial flights are met by a special airport bus service. Regular bus service is within walking distance, but you have to walk on a dirt road and the way is unmarked.

LHNY Nyíregyháza is a nice airport with a 1000 m asphalt runway, home to the largest ATO in the country. Fees are moderate, operating hours are long and with prior arrangement can be flexible. The airport is on the outskirts of the city, infrequently served by a local bus line. There is frequent bus service on the main road nearby. Not much to see in the city itself, but there is a large zoo in a northern suburb (Sóstó) and also the Tokaj wine region is close.

LHHO Hajdúszoboszló has a well maintained 1000 m grass runway, used mainly by TMGs, gliders and hang gliders, but there is some SEP traffic as well. The airport is located right next to a water adventures complex (largest in the country, probably in the whole region) and not far away from the thermal water spa and all the associated hotels. From the city centre there is very frequent bus service to Debrecen.

LHMC Miskolc is a nice grass airstrip very close to the city. While the centre is not within walking distance, there is regular local bus service at a nearby bus stop. Slated to close within 2 years, so fly there until you can.

I’ll let you know if I’m flying to LHNY. If you come to LHDC / LHHO / LHNY, let me know and I’d be happy to meet you.

Last Edited by JnsV at 15 Nov 18:01
Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Zoltan wrote:

In Romania Avgas is aviable in LRSM LRBM LRTM LRBS LRTC etc. Cheap price for landing LRSM LRBM (Aprox 15 euro). Is many grass airfield without icao code, without landig fee. Only the first landig You need to make in bigger airport because the country is non-schengen area. For the airspace restrictions consult www.aisro.ro

Thanks for the info. I will definitely do a trip around Transylvania soon. Too bad Romania is not in the Schengen zone and not about to join in the foreseeable future.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Not being in Schengen is only a very minor hassle (some would say is a benefit these days), and anyway what is the future of Schengen in Europe? Hard to say.

LRSV, Romania

byteworks wrote:

Not being in Schengen is only a very minor hassle (some would say is a benefit these days)

I would not say that it is a very minor hassle. It means that instead of flying my regular airport from Hungary, I would have to transit through LHDC (see exorbitant fees above) or arrange and pay for police to come to another airport (extra cost and hassle). The situation in Romania is the same, I cannot just land at one of the well-positioned grass strips. Short trips are made impractical by this arrangement.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

JnsV wrote:

I’ll let you know if I’m flying to LHNY. If you come to LHDC / LHHO / LHNY, let me know and I’d be happy to meet you.

Thanks for the Pirep on the airports. LHNY sounds like a good place to fly to. Might not be for a while but will let you know when I do. When you say fees are moderate what is moderate? byteworks wrote:

byteworks 16-Nov-15 07:45 #43
Not being in Schengen is only a very minor hassle (some would say is a benefit these days), and anyway what is the future of Schengen in Europe? Hard to say.

I have to disagree. For me to fly to a non schengen country I would have to pay 100Euros to have Customs come out to Tokol. Then when coming back in same procedure. The alternative is to go to a field that has Customs already there like Szarmelek a 1/2 hr trip in the wrong direction. Same when returning. Not so bad when going SW to Croatia. But still its another landing and TO. Not very efficient use of the plane either with Time or Expense.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

LHNY sounds like a good place to fly to. Might not be for a while but will let you know when I do. When you say fees are moderate what is moderate?

Landing fee: 7 EUR / t
Parking: 3 EUR / t / day outside (first three hours free), 6 EUR / t / day in hangar (although there is not much space currently)

No handling charges.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Thats pretty good. Actually the hangarage is great. What do they charge for Avgas?

Last Edited by C210_Flyer at 16 Nov 18:18
KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

What do they charge for Avgas?

Ca. 730 Ft / l. For Jet A they have official domestic (ca. 600 Ft / l) and international (ca. 500 Ft / l) prices displayed at the pump, for Avgas there is only one price AFAIK.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

So you do agree that traveling in a non- Schengen but of some interest country (member of UE and NATO) anything than occasional creates a lot of problems, imagine what this means for commercial terrestrial transportation.
Interesting is, as it seems, in Hungary/Romania case convenient not expensive airports are available in the non-Schengen Romania but not in Hungary. A stop is still a stop and has expenses nevertheless.

LRSV, Romania

Good afternoon!

I am planning a trip to Romania this year and I was wondering, if anyone has visited Romania recently. Planning to land in Sibiu and to visit Bran Castle and Sighisoara. Any advice on this area much appreciated.

Thank you
E

Sign in to add your message