Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Brussels...

I will need to go to Brussels for work quite often the coming period.
What are the options to go to Brussels with a GA aircraft?

I’ve had a look at EBBR (which would be convenient) but that is eye watering expensive.
Also they require a minimum IAS of 155 kt, which I can’t make…

Then there is Grimbergen EBGB in the Brussels CTR, but is VFR and PPR only and it does not seem to offer a good connection to the city center…

The PPR at EBGB is a formality, though they will want to make very sure you know the circuit and will respect it. They have to, their local NIMBY’s are particularly keen. But indeed VFR only, and a tight circuit and a curious partly grass, partly hard runway. Very good radio operators there, and a nice relaxed club atmosphere. There IS a bus stop right at the airfield, bus 232 runs to Brussels North Station once per hour. Check out more at www.delijn.be

But there are few alternatives: if you want IFR, it is EBAW Antwerpen or EBCI Charleroi. Both with mandatory handling AFAIK, though local arrangements might not be impossible. (aeroclub?) Antwerpen at least has a main railway station (Berchem) at perhaps half an hour’s walk plus a frequent bus service. Charleroi OTOH has (or at least used to have) shuttle buses to Brussels South Station.

Frankly, I think that, depending where you start, train might be the better option, now that the Fyra debacle is more or less behind us. The old “Benelux” trains have been reactivated and AFAIU they offer reasonable service (speed, frequency, comfort) at reasonable prices. Not speaking from experience, though.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Last time (last november) I had to go to Brussels I flew to “Brussels South” (in RYR speak), i.e. Charleroi, because Grimbergen was “submerged” due to the heavy rainfalls during the preceding weeks.

Credit card self service pump for AVGAS, reasonable fees, full IFR airfield, rental cars on the spot, but 3 quarters of an hour drive to brussels.

You’ll leave at the old terminal in the south of the airport, while everything (rental cars etc.) is in the new terminal in the north of the airport. So best make arrangements with the rental car company to deliver and pick up the car at the old terminal (they do that), because the taxi ride around the airport is ~20€.

Grimbergen does seem to have a bus close by to the city center. Not sure about the schedule. And the people are very friendly.

LSZK, Switzerland

Both with mandatory handling AFAIK

If so I didn’t notice 8-)

I just got a phone call from a lady from the airport administration when I was about to leave the airport, because it was a first time visit for the aircraft in Charleroi she wanted to have copies of some documents. I promised to send them to her by email (otherwise there’s apparently a scanner somewhere in the old terminal building). That plus the security guards at the exit from the terminal building to the apron was about all the formalities I had to “endure”.

LSZK, Switzerland

Right you are, Thomas, I had done better to check first.

About EBCI the AIP* says

Business flights: Handling compulsory for non-based ACFT exceeding 3 t

but for EBAW alas, my memory was correct: no minimum weight there, for the mandatory handling.

*to be found at www.belgocontrol.be and, of course, freely accessible.

Last Edited by at 08 Apr 15:22
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Frankly, I think that, depending where you start, train might be the better option

You’re totally right, Jan. Or just take the car. The drive will be 2,5hrs (outside rush hour).
The other location where I need to travel regularly to is London. That might be viable by flying to Biggin Hill.

Last Edited by lenthamen at 11 Apr 14:00

Antwerpen is a great airport and I fly into it (with the Cirrus) regularly. No handling for the Cirrus and the airport is very, very close to the city centre. I always take the taxi, but lately my wife was with me and she suggested to take the bus to the center. The bus service is cheap and runs frequently every so many minutes from the airport to the city center and takes only like 10 minutes. The bus station is a 5 minute walk to the central railway station of Antwerpen with regular trains to Brussels.

Grimbergen is perfect if you know how to fly the circuit as it sits right underneath the approach area for Brussels Zeventem International. Once you know it, it is easy to fly into Grimbergen. Then as an alternate you could fly to Antwerpen in bad weather.

Charleroi (Brussels South) is not my favorite airport. I have been flying into Charleroi and the GA apron is indeed on the other side of the runway from the main terminal.

I am not sure if the car is such a great option as there are lots of traffic jams around Brussels.
The train might be a better option.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 11 Apr 16:04
EDLE, Netherlands

Antwerp is good IAP’s available and you can take easy the train to Brussels from Berchem railway station…

EBST

I’m in Brussels at the moment. Went to Grimbergen EBGB, and took the taxi to the City Center. Very convenient.

EBGB is in the Brussels CTR and has strict procedures for arriving/departing. It is PPR but that’s just a formality; they want to make sure that you know the procedures.

I flew IFR and Brussels Departure cleared me direct to the field. I was almost at the beginning of downwind, but Grimbergen Radio told me I had to leave the CTR and fly the full arrival procedure via VRP LONDI ?!
When I asked about it, the radio operator told me they are arguing on this matter already for years, but this is how Brussels ATC wants it.

I payed like 15EUR for landing + parking..
Taxi ride to the city is about 25min.

Well, yes. That IS the procedure. That was the reason you had to call for the PPR. Routing via LONDI and then overhead is the noise abatement procedure
for this noise sensitive region. And yes, people complain more about a C172 than about an A330…

EBST, Belgium
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message