Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Getting to Hvar LDSH (Croatia)

I landed in LDSH in 2019. I was a bit worried about the gravel, but otherwise it was fine. A very nice place — I and my wife stayed on the island for a couple of days.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I landed there 10 years ago with C172. After that I flew over it many times but never landed with TB20 or DA42 always being kind of unsure about quality of runway. I’m glad it’s doing good maybe I’ll drop by this year.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

In that case some patchwork on duty from today just for you :D

That runway never can be perfect because of the hot environment, the grass can not stay/survive the whole year.
The fact it that the stones are growing from the soil there much better than grass ;)
Our internal funny nick name for the place is: Our Africa

Croatia

In that case some patchwork on duty from today just for you :D

Thanks! I would be more than happy if we had such airfield on neighboring island of Vis where I spend a lot of time. Unfortunately, nothing new there.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Agree about Vis, really sad story…
On the other hand, the fact that “Vis airport” is within civil building plans
of the Split-Dalmatia county, bring some hope for the future.

Croatia

Aren’t stones a risk for getting picked up by the prop?

Normally this is OK for landing and is avoided on takeoff by getting up to a reasonable speed on a surface without stones. But taxiing remains hazardous.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

True.
We hope the option for the Summer can be some sort of tug operation after landing/on take of position,
instead of taxiing on dedicated apron space.

Croatia

Stones are my worry.
Not that it helps but in my experience some aircraft seen to suffer more than others.
Despite a small ground clearance, our Robin never seemed to suffer noticeably despite often visiting strips and grass in general.

I didn’t experience it much in a 172 that I used for a bit, or in a friend’s Arrow.

In my Cessna even when being choosy I seem to pick up prop damage very easily.
I now almost always use non grass/dirt airfields.

I would live to visit Hvar this year so will be keeping an eye on this thread.

United Kingdom

In my Cessna even when being choosy I seem to pick up prop damage very easily.
I now almost always use non grass/dirt airfields.

Are you taxiing purposely slowly by chance? The faster you move forward the less stuff will be sucked up by the prop. Power up, get rolling, then idle over the harsh spots. Full elevator up to raise the nose.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thanks for the good work @9A_LDSH , hopefully I will visit one day, a French friend on mine visited you last summer in DA40 from Chavenay (LFPX) via Corsica with his wife+2*kids (he is braver than me), he really enjoyed Hvar as well as the rest of Croatia !

Yes, the main issue is taxi and power checks, having a tug sounds like a good idea, one can’t put some pavement on taxiways? or 10mx10m of pavement on each threshold for power checks and/or initial takeoff roll?

A friend had this on visit to Calvi in his Ovation, they had nasty GA apron & taxiway full of stones and it’s easy to dent the prop on low nose aircraft, we only visited recently after it’s all paved…

Do you know why G109 TMG left? hopefully not related to EASA/CAA divorce?

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jan 10:52
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message