Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Channel Islands, Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, EGJJ EGJB EGJA, have no PN for mainland Europe visitors - what are you all waiting for?

1. Need to file a GAR 12h in advance? Or can I do paperwork on arrival?

C.I. GAR is zero PN. You can email it to them, or bring a printout with you. I do both because it saves filling one in when I get there.

2. Need to have exit customs so can’t leave from EBGB for example?

The mainland-Europe airport needs to have Customs and Immigration because the C.I. are non schengen and non EU (same as the UK actually).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Or can I do paperwork on arrival?

In Guernsey & Jersey you can fill paperwork on arrival or print and bring it, in Alderney, I am not sure? anyway, I have not seen a single soul last time there…

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Oct 19:51
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

OK thanks a lot. What does the exit customs procedure mean in practical terms? Am I going to get a stamp in my passport?

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

From Belgium to CI, you need to file GENDEC and get both police (passport stamps) and customs (good checks) on your exit, they apparently live on two different planets and one can’t do the job of the other as if you fail to get passport stamp and you need one you will receive 200€ per person fine in your home address (lot of Brits got this after leaving Antwerp early this year, I think it’s Law of 15 December 1980 – Article 4bis)

Other than Kortrijk or Ostend, there are not that many choices IMO

https://www.police.be/bordercontrol/en/general-declaration

From France to CI, you need to send PN to some POE airport outbound & inbound, I suggest you use LFAT or LFAC, outbound likely no one cares but inbound you need to get your ducks in a row when it comes to adherence to PN, it’s strict as hell these days (PS: you will not cross FIR boundary and EET will not get triggered by flight plan, so likely no one notices or cares)

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Oct 20:09

All 3 are the same. No PN. In Alderney there is usually a man there in the “C” hut, collecting the landing fee. Never seen it empty (apart from covid case, which is now finished).

Am I going to get a stamp in my passport?

The UK or C.I. don’t do passport stamping

lot of Brits got this after leaving Antwerp early this year

Really… who? You can’t get past the police there – recent trip.

it’s strict as hell these days

Where? At LFAT you just turn up. No PN (in theory a 2hr PN to the email address on the website). No “gendec” or any other form.

LFAT is the best airport for clearing customs and immigration in this case; it is right on the route.

Administrator

Ibra wrote:

From France to CI, you need to send PN to some POE airport outbound & inbound

All super helpful. Is there a penalty for filing the PN and canceling the flight for whatever reason?

Also, France POE airports require me to file some notification even for an intra-Schengen flight if I understood correctly. This understanding of mine is fairly recent though (can be measured easily in hours ) and I flew to LFAT twice recently with only a flight plan filed. Did not go to jail nor get any fines (or any questions at all) but would not like to take chances. Do others file PN intra-Schengen to France? (ignoring the Channel Islands topic for a second)

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

All 3 are the same. No PN.

Good to know about Alderney !

Really… who? You can’t get past the police there

Seems few people had “problems” in Antwerp early this year (including a friend of mine from Blackbushes, he paid 400€ after receiving that letter)

From SkyDemon

From another forum,

Another Pirep,

Plenty around in FB scene, seems like milking cows

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Oct 20:39

Also, France POE airports require me to file some notification even for an intra-Schengen flight if I understood correctly

Albert Bray YES (see AIP AD2), LeTouquet NO (no reference but it works), while for non POE like Dieppe only ATC FPL is required…if you are using POE intra-Schengen, my advice is to get your PN right

I think no one has the actual list of POE that require 24h PN intra-Schengen these days? you have to check AIP/NOTAMS or ask mayors who make the laws or airports managers (Châteauroux has 4h PN intra-Schengen, I know it as I asked the guy who runs it but nothing yet in NOTAMS/AIP)

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Oct 20:51

If one spends one’s life on facebook, one can find anything. Lots of people don’t do due diligence.

That’s ridiculous. He has not “had” to pay the fine because he was back home when he got the letter.

The OP asked about travelling to the Channel Islands. The simplest way to clear C+I from Belgium is to use LFAT.

We can have a thread entitled “stupid airport procedures” or “stupid airport police” etc. There are hundreds of these posts already; most trips around Europe dig up some mad official. EBAW AIP states

and if they don’t follow that, please start a thread entitled “EBAW not following published AIP procedure” or some such.

Probably, like most stuff posted on “toss in a one-liner” FB, those are not the complete stories.

This may also be applicable. In some countries, there is no “due diligence” option (weird justice systems) and if you can’t find the police, you can’t go. Germany is one famous case. If Belgum has such a law, can someone add it to that thread please. Maybe @lionel knows.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Where? At LFAT you just turn up. No PN (in theory a 2hr PN to the email address on the website).

Ah that explains the experience I had there so far – indeed no PN and zero questions flying from Belgium.

So for EBGB to say Guernsey I could land in LFAT and would not need to fill a GENDEC (but will need to complete a GAR) and then fly onwards from there? Sounds like that might work.

EBGB EBKT, Belgium
Sign in to add your message