Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR Flight from Jersey EGJJ to Guernsey EGJB

Does anybody here know the requirements for a VFR flight from Jersey to Guernsey regarding flight plan and possible GAR? I have never done a “local” Channel Islands flight before.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Jersey and Guernsey (which also includes Alderney) are different jurisdictions (“Bailiwicks”), so yes, they requires these border formalities (Jersey calls theirs a “General Declaration”, Guernsey calls it a “General Aviation Report”).

https://www.gov.je/Travel/MaritimeAviation/CivilAviation/Pages/PrivatePilots.aspx
https://www.gov.gg/Generalaviationpolicy

Tedious paperwork. Ony bit of good news is: there are no timeframes assosciated with these. Just send them before departure.

And yes, a flightplan is also requested. Only exception are A-to-A flights around one single island.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Jul 08:05
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Alderney and Guensey GAR are on my website

They take minutes to fill in. On the scale of European “stuff” I would not call it “tedious”

If possible, print off 2 copies. One to hand in upon arrival and the other one to show them when you depart. OTOH that may be an Alderney-specific thing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Again, “no handing” in on arrival anymore, particularly in Jersey. Maybe Alderney still accepts it.

It IS tedious because when you are on a trip, without a PC, you cannot comfortably computer fill-in a pdf like the Jersey one, or that word file of Guernsey.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Flying without a laptop is incredibly tedious IME anyway. But I have an editable PDF on my website for Alderney or Guernsey and that is what I normally use.

No handling at Guernsey or Alderney for sure. Haven’t done Jersey for a few years.

For handing in the GAR, Alderney still has a box on the wall, which they empty every 20 years Actually departing is the issue but they should accept a copy on a phone. The little man (literally) very carefully checks for matching passport numbers and gets huge pleasure from finding a mistake. Guernsey is very easy.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Guernsey is very easy

Except they seem to go crazy on fees. I did inquire in April all the details just to get now confirmation of even higher charges. This one week stay with the Piper Meridian is now approaching 500 pouds in total fees so I feel this is going to be the very last time we will go there.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I wonder if @quatrelle knows a way around it.

Lots of people go to ASG for maintenance and this is a traditional workaround for landing charges.

Administrator

The landing is not that much but handling is 94 pounds and parking 50 a day. But I assume it is due to the turbine engine they have dollars in their eyes while the same plane with a piston would be much cheaper.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Indeed. Despite you being sub-2T you are paying lots. But maybe > 1.5T is a problem; lots of people pay for an SR22.

Administrator

Indeed. Despite you being sub-2T you are paying lots. But maybe > 1.5T is a problem; lots of people pay for an SR22.

Administrator
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message