Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Channel Islands, Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, EGJJ EGJB EGJA, have no PN for mainland Europe visitors - what are you all waiting for?

Really appreciate that @Peter and sorry if I went off thread. Points de passages frontaliers PPF or POE as you said either.

Last Edited by johnnyirvine at 16 Dec 23:54
Ireland

Looking at the AIPs (I use our airport database to dig these out):

LFRC Cherbourg has C+I but on a 24/48hr PN (like most of French airports that have C+I).

LFFD St Andre De L’eure – you cannot fly to from any country which is non Schengen or non EU:

No idea what PPF is.

Port of Entry is a poor term to use in Europe. You need to specifically check Customs and Immigration. AIP and NOTAM.

In France, Immigration is called “Police”.

It’s a real pity they don’t teach this stuff in the PPL. But it is difficult due to the different places one has to look.

The point of this thread is however that you can fly to or from the Channel Islands from anywhere, as far as the Channel Islands are concerned. You can fly VNKT DCT EGJA (VNKT is Kathmandu). Just email them the Guernsey GAR before landing there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you. Yes LFAT is off route but LFRC may work.

Remind me, do I have to stick to PPF / POE or could I route EGJJ direct to LFFD rather than LFRC.

EIWT DCT LFFD isn’t a problem, right ?

Ireland

Yes. Same as from the UK, US, etc.

First French airport must have customs and immigration. LFAT is a good one but maybe off route.

Administrator

Hi folks, thanks for allowing me to join. I read the thread but didn’t find the answer yet. I think my answer is yes.

For context: Ireland to France – Routing Weston, Exeter, Jersey, France.

Jersey is a CD and non-schengen. Question: onward to France I need to land to clear into Schengen ?

Ireland

For CI, I would go for LFAT or EBKT both fall under easy stopping points along the way

If you go via LFAT, during their hours practically you have nothing to send other than FPL
If you go via EBKT, you need to send Belgian GENDEC outbound & inbound

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Oct 21:04
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

So for EBGB to say Guernsey I could land in LFAT and would not need to fill a GENDEC (but will need to complete a GAR) and then fly onwards from there? Sounds like that might work.

• email the Guernsey GAR to Guernsey and print off a copy for yourself
  • fly to LFAT, walk in, walk (past the police) to the desk, pay the €30, (check the EuroGA leaflets are there and nice and visible, please ), walk out, passport stamped “outbound from EU”
  • fly to Guernsey, walk to ASG, and hand in your printed GAR (if they can’t find the emailed one)
  • mess about
  • outbound, pay landing fee
  • fly Guernsey – LFAT, walk in, passport stamp “inbound to EU”, walk to the desk, pay €30
  • fly to Belgium

So yeah you waste €60 or so. There used to be cheap options like Caen at €4.50 but that one is about €12 now and needs 24/48hr PN.

Found my report on Antwerp EBAW which gives the details of the police procedures. The police there were just disorganised. Ostende EBOS worked a lot better.

Is there a penalty for filing the PN and canceling the flight for whatever reason?

No; I do it all the time

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Where? At LFAT you just turn up. No PN (in theory a 2hr PN to the email address on the website).

Ah that explains the experience I had there so far – indeed no PN and zero questions flying from Belgium.

So for EBGB to say Guernsey I could land in LFAT and would not need to fill a GENDEC (but will need to complete a GAR) and then fly onwards from there? Sounds like that might work.

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

If one spends one’s life on facebook, one can find anything. Lots of people don’t do due diligence.

That’s ridiculous. He has not “had” to pay the fine because he was back home when he got the letter.

The OP asked about travelling to the Channel Islands. The simplest way to clear C+I from Belgium is to use LFAT.

We can have a thread entitled “stupid airport procedures” or “stupid airport police” etc. There are hundreds of these posts already; most trips around Europe dig up some mad official. EBAW AIP states

and if they don’t follow that, please start a thread entitled “EBAW not following published AIP procedure” or some such.

Probably, like most stuff posted on “toss in a one-liner” FB, those are not the complete stories.

This may also be applicable. In some countries, there is no “due diligence” option (weird justice systems) and if you can’t find the police, you can’t go. Germany is one famous case. If Belgum has such a law, can someone add it to that thread please. Maybe @lionel knows.

Administrator

Also, France POE airports require me to file some notification even for an intra-Schengen flight if I understood correctly

Albert Bray YES (see AIP AD2), LeTouquet NO (no reference but it works), while for non POE like Dieppe only ATC FPL is required…if you are using POE intra-Schengen, my advice is to get your PN right

I think no one has the actual list of POE that require 24h PN intra-Schengen these days? you have to check AIP/NOTAMS or ask mayors who make the laws or airports managers (Châteauroux has 4h PN intra-Schengen, I know it as I asked the guy who runs it but nothing yet in NOTAMS/AIP)

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Oct 20:51
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message