Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EKBI Billund

It is an impossible task for any flight planning app to keep up to date with these requirements. The only practical ways are

• charge say €100/year to every user and have someone in the office going through the AIPs all the time
  • use someone in Vietnam (etc) to do the same for $10/week
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It is an impossible task for any flight planning app to keep up to date with these requirements

Isn’t that what the EuroGA airports database aims to resolve?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Yes – if people mention these aspects.

However, let’s be frank about it, a pilot is supposed to brief

• in most cases, from the AIP
  • in unusual cases e.g. homebuilt privileges, from the AIP in combination with national laws

I would never expect data presented by any “app” to be accurate – simply because that is impossible to achieve. Especially for the Autorouter which is a free tool to GA. It sometimes tells me that my 1400kg TB20 is subject to IFR route charges

Much more controversially, one should also not expect data from an airport employee to be accurate.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It sometimes tells me that my 1400kg TB20 is subject to IFR route charges.

This is because many countries wrongly report charges in terminal areas without below 2 tons exemption.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, too. Maybe we’ll also fly into Legoland the next weeks. I put that on my list

Germany

Emir wrote:

This is because many countries wrongly report charges in terminal areas without below 2 tons exemption.

Interesting, are <2T supposed to be exempt from TMA charges?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Interesting, are <2T supposed to be exempt from TMA charges?

Mostly, although I know several examples in Germany where they are not.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

A heads up on Billund. It’s no longer the great and uncomplicated GA airport it used to be. Apparently GA now gets priced out as the airport smell money from increasing CAT and cargo operations. I was caught by surprise of recent changes a few days ago. Before you could file, fly, land and park a day for around 15 EUR while taking the kids to Legoland. Totally uncomplicated and friendly.

Now however the airport is PPR with a need to prearrange with a FBO. They provide absolutely no service you need as a owner flown GA flight and the bill I got for this bureaucracy was 108 EUR. This in an RV8 weighing less than 1T MTOW. The exit of the GA has been moved and Legoland is now a 10-15 minute walk along a road.

What a shame.

Last Edited by THY at 04 Jun 22:51
THY
EKRK, Denmark

@THY, thanks for the report. Depressing. Is there any way to use the aeroclub as an FBO and for exit/entry? If not, maybe they should work on a solution for that.

ESSZ, Sweden

I’ve heard the same sad news. The change is in effect since the 1st of May 2023. As I was planning to organize another visit, I called the airport and JoinJet FBO for more information. The answer from the airport office was: If you land at Billund just for fuel and customs, you don’t need any handling. Just file an FPL, refuel on-site, pay the landing fees in the old-fashioned way at the C-office and go again. If customs is interested, they will come and meet you at the main south apron or fuel station. However, if you need any parking for longer than a short pause (I’m not sure if that includes a visit to the toilet), FBO handling is required. JoinJet offers handling for €40 to GA and bring you to Legoland or Hotel by car. Also, in order to refuel Avgas 100LL, a Shell or Air BP fuel card is required. Debit or credit cards are not accepted anymore.

The airport will close down the C-office in the future completely. After closure, technical stops without parking will be invoiced afterwards by mail. FBO customers will pay the airport fees directly at their office. Would be great to hear more about this from locals or other first experiences.

THY wrote:

They provide absolutely no service you need as a owner flown GA flight and the bill I got for this bureaucracy was 108 EUR.
Which FBO did you choose?
Last Edited by Frans at 05 Jun 08:04
Switzerland
Sign in to add your message