Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports between Geneva and Lausanne

LSGG grass runway is VFR only so no side-step / swingover on the approach chart. You need to have canceled IFR to land on it. If the weather is strictly IMC or marginal VMC it will then be tricky as they won't open the grass runway (though whether they'll send you away as you don't have a slot... I don't know). If you were really sneaky you could file to LSGL and then divert to LSGG for weather reasons...

Having said that the surface is very good, you shouldn't refrain from using it on "grass" concerns alone.

Prangins LSGP no way - not only it's in the middle of nowhere, but a) you need a PPR and b) no customs and c) the runway is way short for a PA46.

Bumping this thread.

Im considering flying into LSGG for the AutoSalon expo.

Will be departing from Austria, so the first question is if there is any possibility to land in France to avoid customs? Is the Palexpo in Switzerland or France by the way? Must be straight on the border.
Does anybody know how much the Custom tax is per pax.

Rocket Route is as always confusing when it comes to use of Mandatory Handling agent.
At least you need one to request a slot, but is one really required for landing/departure?
Which one is preferred?

spirit49
LOIH

Palexpo is in Switzerland. You can land in Annemasse LFLI – however it is on the other side of town, traffic is a b!tch and taxis will cost you a bomb.

Handling for small GA isn’t mandatory on the North apron in Geneva. However slots are (both departure and arrival) and good luck getting one during the show. Parking is also restricted. Re – slot enforcement, I’ve been denied landing for missing my slot by 20 minutes – and I am based there…

I can look up custom fees – they’re not that much in the grand scheme of things.

What you want to do is land in Lausanne and take the train all the way to Palexpo.

Hi Shorrick

What you want to do is land in Lausanne and take the train all the way to Palexpo.

Well thats a GREAT idea.
Was looking into the Annemasse option, but the taxi fare is a killer.

Will learn a bit about Lausanne, then return with more questions :)

Thank you

spirit49
LOIH

Sure thing. The bus from LSGL to the station runs very frequently and it’s maybe 15 minutes. Trains from Lausanne to Geneva are also very frequent, even more so during the show.

Normally you could land in Bellegarde-Vouvray LFHN my home base. However there is a NOTAM and the airfield is for based airplanes at the moment due to the build of a new hangar. Bellegarde though a short RWY (680M) has a direct train connection (15Mins) to GVA (LSGG) which is right besides PALEXPO. VFR only for LFHN though and as I said no good at this time of year because of the NOTAM.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

If you cannot sort out LSGG north apron with adequate landing fee/parking fees etc definately go to Lausanne.

Taxi from airport to station is 10-15in depending on traffic and costs about 25 chf. C office has the numbers for taxi when you come and they’re normally there in 5 min. Train to Palexpo (actually the aeroport train stop) is about 25chf oneway 2nd class and take ~ 50min.

Just be aware of LSGL opening time is 8am to end of civil twilight or 8pm whichever earliest.

LSGL (currently) KMMU ESMS ESSB

Bellegarde doesn’t have a direct connection to Palexpo as far as I know, you need to change downtown as with all french trains. Bellegarde to downtown is more like 30 minutes.

There is a lot of car rental companies around Annemasse. About 10 min walk according to GoogleMaps.
For about 85€ we can roam around as we want for a day. And its about 25 min drive to Palexpo.

If the weather is bad, I feel that Annemasse is a better option. I guess the best option would be to get on the ILS to GVA to break out, and the Annemasse is a lot closer than Lausanne.

All info on Annmasse is in french online. Do they only speak french on the ground too?
I guess a PPR is required

spirit49
LOIH

No PPR for Annemasse – but do note it is very unlikely to make it from there to Palexpo in 25 minutes even with normal traffic. Some people there are bound to speak English – it’s one of France’s most active GA airport.

Sign in to add your message