Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A trip to the Alps to get nice photos (and a video)

I am glad I did this trip when I did, because the various issues have not got better. Lydd is no longer notamed closed but has the “Biggin Hill problem”:

C2236/21
ILS RWY 21 OUT OF SERVICE

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great trip Peter. It might sound crazy to go for such a long trip in a small aircraft just for taking some picture, but with all the restrictions around, where you are allowed to go and driven by the need to be in the pilots seat as often as possible it looks like a must do to me.

EDDS , Germany

Nevertheless, you had the Eiger long in sight before entering the Alps. The famous “Nordwand” is clearly visable for a long amount of time in your video

@Frans I am not sure these are so easy to recognise unless you are a local and fly there a lot – for example nobody worked out this one. Or this one.

Administrator

@Peter: Ah, I guess I missed those. The first one is definitely the Matterhorn from the Swiss west-side… It looks like you’re approaching it from Val d’Hérens. The arrow on the second picture points on the Mönch, if you approach it from the eastern side. The grey mountain on the right is the Eiger.

Last Edited by Frans at 20 Apr 14:11
Switzerland

Thanks

I am looking at doing another one of these. Any suggestions on other special spots? I can’t really go further e.g. the Matterhorn is simply not doable safely from EGKA under any likely circumstances.

Administrator

What about an orbit around the Mont Blanc massif with Aigle du Midi? You need quite some altitude to pass around those mountains, but it is a wonderful experience. The restricted area LF-R30B is only prohibited for ultra-light gliders in July and August. Just make sure you don’t do it with Föhn.

Switzerland

Mont Blanc is a very similar distance to what I did to Jungfrau etc.

In terms of airspace (one has to cancel IFR) and ATC clearances, can it be done as a DCT from DJL or LISMO?

Administrator

Good question! Regarding IFR cancellation and (re)joining points, I’m unfortunately out to give a usable advice. I would assume that LISMO is a bit early, especially as you have to cross the Geneva TMA after it, which is very difficult while being VFR. The only realistic chance for a VFR clearance through the Geneva TMA would be the VFR-Transit Route “Center” from MOREG to EMGUT, at FL100 or higher. Maybe there is a way to cancel IFR (south)east of the Geneva TMA?

Switzerland

I am happy to never cancel IFR, but one has to when going below the MRVA or whatever.

Also I would fly down with tailwind (almost certain) so would go at least FL140 all the way down, to get best tailwind. So a climb FL160 well before Mont Blanc is fine.

The last trip almost didn’t work out because of a short-notice Swiss air force exercise. A few mins later and I would have blown the whole project.

Administrator

As long weather is shinny, you should not have any problem transiting Geneva TMA VFR in band FL80-FL120 all the way from Dijon to MtBlanc, anything bellow you will have to go under as Frans said or you will be in the way of “IFR arrivals & missed”?

Not sure about VFR above FL140 but you can try

I think it’s Bale Info who can get that VFR clearance from Geneva Delta ATC
Not sur how it works for IFR-VFR-IFR? but cancel IFR looks risky to me
Just request a visual approach to MtBlanc

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Apr 16:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message