Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Home Simulator

martin-esmi wrote:

So to the question, how many of you use flight sims to stay current?

I use Flight Sim to supplement my flight time. And I use the Flight Sounds DUAL USB Headset Adapter which is compatible with my David Clarke H10-13.4 headset, give me a realistic experience.

New Zealand

The above is prob99 an advertisement.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, not quite a home sim, as it belongs to a swiss aviation club, but I’ve been involved in restoring a 737NG sim to flight readiness. Slow process but we are getting there.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I’ve been involved in restoring a 737NG sim to flight readiness

WoW, are you getting your B737NG TR on it?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

WoW, are you getting your B737NG TR on it?

No, it is a purely amateur device, running Prepare3D and ProSim 737.

It will be run in a club environment for simmers and GA pilots who want to try their hands on a “real” sim. Also for online flying and some of that. Non-Profit use only and membership required.

This sim was donated to us by a gentlemen recently deceased (he put it in his will that it should be used by a non-profit organisation) and we took on the challenge. It had been dormant for some time and had to be disassembled and transported to new facilities and now re-assembled. Process has taken some months so far. We hope it will get going by the end of the year.

We will get the instructors trained however involving a 737NG TRI. So we will be getting a concise version of the type rating but nothing we can use in real life.

Nevertheless, I flew an A320 sim with a similar set up last week (after more than 6 years of not coming close to an A320 flight deck) and noticed I still know how to do it. Was great fun. I’ve never been near a 737 (well, I flew a 737-100 sim once 30 years ago) and it will be interesting learning about this classic airplane. I am told we can configure it as a long range BBJ so that might be interesting.

Once it is running, if any of you would like to have a go PM me. It is located near ZRH airport.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 23 Nov 09:05

Once it is running, if any of you would like to have a go PM me. It is located near ZRH airport.

I will surely take the offer if pop-ing around

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

You can use it for BIR training. :)

ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310 wrote:

You can use it for BIR training. :)

No. It can not be used for any training which goes down in a logbook towards a rating or license.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 24 Nov 04:49

Mooney_Driver wrote:

No.

Yes!

It can not be used for any training which goes down in a logbook towards a rating or license.

Indeed, but the point is that the BIR is fully competence-based. You don’t need to have a single minute of actual training in the logbook before the checkride.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 24 Nov 06:55
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Indeed, but the point is that the BIR is fully competence-based. You don’t need to have a single minute of actual training in the logbook before the checkride.

Hmm. In that case, I wonder what is the least effort and cost. That B737 simulator above (which is amazing btw), or actually flying some hours of instrument in a real aircraft. I would believe the purpose of having an IR rating is to actually fly IR, no?

A hobby is a hobby, there is no right or wrong. I recently got myself some new stick, rudder and throttle and installed DCS again (and IL-2 of course). I can’t for the life of me find a reason to install a civilian flight sim, when I can do real flying instead. Nevertheless, I use the Yak-52 in DCS to practice aerobatics That and TACAN approaches in an F-5 in the soup is rather fun All that super complex weapon stuff I am literally clueless about The F-5 isn’t that complex though, guns and Sidewinders.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message