Last Edited by Dimme at 03 Dec 13:39
ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Here are my specs and a sample video of how it looks:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X
GPU: nVidia 2070 Super OC
RAM: 64GB (32 would be enough)
DISK: NVME SSD 2TB

At the moment, I would also go for AMD Ryzen but a more recent version, nVidia 3080 or better, 64GB RAM or more and NVME SSD.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Thanks for the input all – Dimme has what looks to be what I want so now to see how it fits in my budget :)

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Dimme wrote:

Here are my specs

Thank you.

Can you please add what motherboard you have? And possibly which RAM you have, so we don’t have to do our own DD on it.

Last Edited by tmo at 03 Dec 15:09
tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

AMD Ryzen 3700X is a 2.5 year old CPU (https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-3700x) and nVidia 2070 is not the most current one you can get at the moment either. So I would suggest renewing the specs to something more recent, which will affect motherboard and RAM as well.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Several identical threads merged

There is a great deal of good stuff further back in this thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You’ll struggle to buy all but the highest end video cards right now, anything under the premium versions of the nv3080Ti or AMD Radeon RX6900XT is sold out (or can only be found from scalpers at almost the price of a 3080 Ti). It has been this way for over a year now.

Andreas IOM

Dimme wrote:

sample video of how it looks:

Stupid question on the side, but does MSFS2020 actually allow to make videos internally? Or do you still need a separate video capture program? This looks fantastic. For VFR, MSFS2020 appears to be really a totally new league of it’s own.

Peter wrote:

Several identical threads merged

Not sure if this is about a “Home Cockpit” but a specific flight sim product and it’s hardware. Maybe a section for simulation might be an interesting idea for the future. I can see more and more folks moving back onto simulation as it has none of the pitfalls of real aviation.

alioth wrote:

You’ll struggle to buy all but the highest end video cards right now, anything under the premium versions of the nv3080Ti or AMD Radeon RX6900XT is sold out (or can only be found from scalpers at almost the price of a 3080 Ti). It has been this way for over a year now.

Maybe that is why pre-fabricated solutions may not be the worst. MSFS2020 is supposed to be a product which runs on an X-box, so they can not pull performance stuff as they used to in FSX.

I will ask around next weekend (if we can actually do that event) to see what people use.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Not sure if this is about a “Home Cockpit” but a specific flight sim product and it’s hardware.

Give it five posts and it will be on a related topic Somebody will say MSFS is rubbish, and use XYZ

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That discussion is as old as flight simulation.

But like with choosing the right airplane for the mission, it is the same with simulation. Choose the right plattform for the mission.

MSFS2020 provides a world wide photorealistic VFR landscape, which is a huge breakthrough in that regard. The visuals are overwhelming, which is why it has basically outclassed everything else. So it is the perfect sim for people who love great visuals and who either wish to do predominantly VFR or who do not care about system and airliner simulations too much, as they are not yet available in the fidelity they are on other platforms. Also so far there is not much there for people who wish to use it on home cockpits such as full blown airliner cockpits.

Prepare3D/FSX offers complex airliners e.t.c so it is probably the better choice for someone who wants to go in that direction. Prepare 3D is also the only way to legally use the MS/LM platform in a commercial sim. Also for people who build complex cockpits, Prepare3D is the way to go for now on the MS/LM platform.

Xplane is a totally different platform which lends itself to all applications but is complex and needs a start from scratch. I’ve tried it a few times but for me it was too complex to deal with. I have though seen applications of it which were mindblowing, in particular the Caravelle Simulator in Munich, which unfortunately is no longer working (being moved to Sweden as I understand).

MS/Xplane is pretty much the discussion between Windows and Apple .

If I were to re-enter the simulation scene, I’d probably go MFSF2020 for the visuals alone. I currently use FSX and FS2004. I don’t fly complex airplanes anymore for lack of time and all I do is an occasional 20 mins session or so in a freeware Citation 501 or the odd long haul in a freeware MD11. For this 2020 is great. And if it starts up faster than mine does (which needs about 20 minutes to be full up) then so much the better.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 04 Dec 09:44
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message