Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

Nice! I hope to get theory done end of the year (distance learning via Bristol ground school). Are you going to organise practical flying within an ATO or outside?

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

Ibra wrote:

Good luck with the practical training !

Thanks!

Ibra wrote:

Can you share where you did the theory?

After searching for an ATO that would not just push me to do the full (legacy?) IR theory, I ended up doing remote with blueskyaviation.cz.
Originally I though about doing the exam in Prague as well, but time and expense to go there for examination did not look good. Specially if I had to do it 3 times for the 3 modules.
So after getting the certificate of theory completion, I used it in NL to apply to do the exam(s) here.

EHLE, Netherlands

Good to know thanks !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

How does the BIR theoretical exam actually work – can the three exams be done in one day or is it required to show up for three separate exam days?

Is Aviationexam still the „learning platform“ of choice to get well prepared for the theoretical exams?

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Marcel wrote:

How does the BIR theoretical exam actually work – can the three exams be done in one day or is it required to show up for three separate exam days?

Up to you… can be done in one day.

AFAIK the exams in NL are also available using AustroControl at Orbifly.

Marcel wrote:

Is Aviationexam still the „learning platform“ of choice to get well prepared for the theoretical exams?

Yes.

Anybody interested in BIR or wants to try some remote training let me know.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 14 Nov 21:22
always learning
LO__, Austria

Has anyone actually got a BIR yet? The rating has been available for some time now, and I did see a couple of schools offering practical training for it, but not yet heard of anyone passing the skill test.

Here in the UK, we don’t have the BIR and are very unlikely to get it. The IRR/IMC rating provides a lot of capability except no access to airways, but since you can’t use it abroad then this makes relatively little difference. Equally, the BIR isn’t recognised in the UK which I think is unfortunate and would like to see some agreement between EASA/UK in the future that recognises sub-ICAO licences/ratings.

I recently trained a student who upgraded from IRR to full IR (through the CB-IR route), and this didn’t take very many hours. It was mainly introducing the airways system including flight plans, ensuring full understanding/use of the GPS and polishing up to IR skill test standard, It did help that he was current.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Up to you… can be done in one day.

I never figured out how they do it in Prague, but in the Netherlands, you can only schedule module 2 after passing module 1, module 3 after passing module 2. And since the earlier bookable slots are always at least a week away, it can take almost a month.

EHLE, Netherlands

DavidC wrote:

Has anyone actually got a BIR yet?

Not sure who the first is/was, just trying not to be the last ;-)

DavidC wrote:

Equally, the BIR isn’t recognised in the UK which I think is unfortunate

Yup, very unfortunate. The good thing is that there two ways to easily get a full IR; either make sure that during BIR training you do 10h in an ATO, and take another skill test after the BIR skill test; or after a year and 50h IFR time you can also apply for a full IR.
As discussed on the other thread https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/13742-cbir-cb-ir-10-years-on?page=7#post_327990

EHLE, Netherlands

not yet heard of anyone passing the skill test

These guys had someone who did BIR skill-test (I can’t fetch the FB post) but they had approval since last year, my understanding he did CBIR theory as DGAC does not have BIR exams yet…

https://aeroclubdubearn.fr/index.php/formations-ato-nxxxxxx/b-ir/

Few people were giving the option to grandfathered their French FN-IR into EASA B-IR

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Nov 08:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

DavidC wrote:

Here in the UK, we don’t have the BIR and are very unlikely to get it. The IRR/IMC rating provides a lot of capability except no access to airways, but since you can’t use it abroad then this makes relatively little difference.

Sorry, David, agree to disagree – for those that live under London TMA it does make difference. Plus I’m not allowed to fly into the EU anyway, so for me BIR would have been great.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message