Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

How is it ambiguous. It clearly says „unlimited“.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thank you AA.

LFOU, France

I know the BIR is very rare but can anyone answer Mher_Tolpin’s questions?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

1) Is self-learning is possible? or I am required to register to some ATO to get referral for the CAA examinations?
2) PadPilot CB-IR books, are they relevant? or better to go with CB-IR.net series? or maybe Bristol aviation?
3) Any suggested ATO for practical training in Czech Republic or Hungary?
4) Are there minimum hours for practical training? I know that EASA rules not specify any minimum hours, but I saw some ATOs which require some amount of hours, 25-35… is it possible to find an ATO which not requires any minimum hours for practical training?
5) Is it possible to do full BIR training during VMC conditions?
6) The BIR theory, is it valid for 36 months? 24? lifetime?

1) Yes. The theory course needs to be done via an ATO. You can do distance learning and 1 day of classroom. ATO issues theory course completion certificate and you can take exams at any authority you choose.

2) I am biased but think CBIR books are great. Additionally you must use whatever the ATO course includes. For exams → Aviation Exam question bank.

3) Yes, PN me

4) No minimum hours. You can even practice yourself on a Sim or during VFR flight.

5) Yes

6) Lifetime

always learning
LO__, Austria

Adding to the excellent points from @Snoopy above:

1. I did BIR distance learning with Bristol ground school end of last year and there was zero classroom requirement, all self study. From what I understood even for full IR they have a “distance classroom” solution with live zoom attendance so no need to travel, but that may have been a COVID exemption. Anyway, no such requirements for BIR. Team there is very helpful and responsive. Have nothing but good things to say about them.
2. Another vote for the CBIR books. @ErlendV is also super responsive. For exams I used AvEx question banks as well.

Good luck

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

Zsoszu wrote:

Try Airwin in Hungary. Complex ATO.
Contract Gabor Magyari, Head of the Training or Robert Banki, the CEO for advice. They have FNPT II, IR Aircraft as well.
Airwin.hu, text me in private if you need contact.

Last year I have asked them the answer was that since at the moment they don’t have a SE/IR airplane, they can’t help.

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

I am reading this topic with increased interest. 10 years ago I successfully passed my ATPL theory under the NL CAA (with Orbit Groundschool), as a first step of my then ambition to do modular ATPL, but shifts in my personal life meant that I stopped after getting the theory certificate and never did anything with it. Now that I see the FCL.025 quote of Jujupilote, do you think I have a chance to still use that ATPL theory certificate to start (practical) BIR training? Who would be able to give me an answer?

Last Edited by SvenHz at 19 Apr 13:07
EHLE, Netherlands

Not sure anyone has ever been in this situation but it’s an interesting question.
From what I read in the reg, I would say yes.
I would definitely ask CAA for written confirmation if I were you.

LFOU, France

There probably are a lot of people with expired CPL/IR exam passes (basically, any FI who tried but failed to get an airline job) but probably most of these, if they want an “IR” they will try to go for the full IR because then they can train the IR. Maybe an FI+BIR can train the BIR but the BIR take-up may not be too great. History seems to show that “half baked” products don’t sell.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From what I understood even for full IR they have a “distance classroom” solution with live zoom attendance so no need to travel

It’s like that even for ATPL – distance learning and Zoom classroom time.

do you think I have a chance to still use that ATPL theory certificate to start (practical) BIR training?

Theoretically speaking it should be ok but you never know how CAA would interpret this. Unfortunately, they can say your ATPL has been expired, so nothing can be credited towards BIR.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message