Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prop Damage

I must have taken a loose stone through the prop today when visiting Henstridge (EGHS) :-(

It’s left a nick in one blade near the tip.

What is people experience of this type of damage? Can it normally be filed out?

There was no abnormal vibration / feeling / loss of performance on the return flight that I noticed.

Last Edited by Alex_ at 28 Jan 23:11
Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Can you post a photo, with a ruler next to it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter that was quick I hadn’t managed to get the photo attached!

Its approx 5mm.

Alex

I had a similar experience on a apron with loose chippings and did not do anything apart from filing the edges a bit rounder. However, when I sold it, the overhaul shop said that it was outside overhaul limits and was only OK for non-certified use.

I nicked my replacement composite propeller and sent the picture to the manufacturer who said that it was OK to use, but that they could repair it. At the end of the year I sent it back and they repaired the blade for about $200.

In summary, I think it is cosmetic, but it will affect resale value.
Simon

You should check the manufacturers instructions as they should have detailed info there. Here is a Service Letter from McCauley if that is what you are using:
http://www.mccauley.textron.com/SL1995-4C.pdf

ESSZ, Sweden

I do like Henstridge but I do wish they’d do something about the condition of the south side hard standing. It’s been a prop killer for many years now.

Forever learning
EGTB

Alex_ wrote:

Can it normally be filed out?

Yes and it should be, asap. (Actually, you don’t fil it out but rather smooth of the rough edges and belnd it in. This is detailed on the manufacturers’ web site)

There was no abnormal vibration / feeling / loss of performance on the return flight that I noticed.

Normal. I inspected an SR22 that had a gouge that was almost double the size, about 9mm IIRC and surprisinly Hartzell said it was within limits. There were no side effects.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

You could also take a look at AC 43-13. There is a whole chapter about propeller repairs/maintenance, starting at page 8-71.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Alex – I am advised by my A&P (who used to manage a 145 prop shop, and did my prop 8 years ago) that your nick can be dressed out but, to maintain the smooth leading edge profile, about 6" of the edge needs to be removed.

That is a fair bit of metal and the other blade(s) needs to be dressed similarly to maintain some sort of balance, and dynamic prop balancing is a good idea after all that.

I’ve never had a nick of your depth but had some like the 1st of Simon’s pic (about 3mm deep) and they were dressed out over a distance of about 3", and on the one blade only.

Trailing edge nicks are likely to be prohibited from any repair, and scrap the blade.

Prop nick dressing is not legally within pilot maintenance privileges. Of course, there are those who know how to do it… you start with a file, work through a finer file, move to emery paper, with a gradually finer grade, and – in the field especially – finish off by polishing with the plastic dish cleaning fabric. Steel wool must never be used on anything made of aluminium because it leaves steel particles in the aluminium.

BTW there is a nice scam run by Hartzell whereby, on their 3B props, if 2 or more blades need to be removed from the hub for a repair, the hub must be scrapped, and this leads to a complete new prop as the only economic solution

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for all the input

Alex
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message