Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prop Damage

Archie wrote:

The only “saving grace” would be that the nick is not quite in the area of the blade that is prone to the most stress during operation (approx. 1/3 down the blade I am told).

AC 42.13 has this graph

IMO this damage is easily fixed by anyone who knows how to. More like a crack in the paint.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Michael wrote:

Why ?

What’s the percieved risk or problem here ?

IMO, there is none.

- Stress fractures
- Imbalance due to the large amount of metal removed to smooth it out (4-10 times the depth of the blade, in length)
- Reduced performance
- Vibrations

The only “saving grace” would be that the nick is not quite in the area of the blade that is prone to the most stress during operation (approx. 1/3 down the blade I am told).

Peter wrote:

Prop nick dressing is not legally within pilot maintenance privileges.

Correct. Aside from the practices you describe it is also important to never file across (perpendicular to) the blade, but always length wise along the leading edge. Or so I am told.

Usually, apparently silly issues like this are a manifestation of the parties concerned not talking to each other.

The reason for that is in turn something else.

In student accommodation it is often found that nobody wants to clean the toilet, or buy food used by all.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Also a Spanhoe supporter, but while a regular visitor the last few years have been in tailwheel aircraft, which helpfully suffer less from propeller nicks. I used to visit in a twin engine many years ago, but fortunately never suffered any nicks.

When I walk out to aircraft I do try and pick up stones and chuck them off the taxiway – somewhat ant like, but every little bit helps.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I won’t use Henstridge for exactly the subject of this post, which is a pity because it is in a great part of the country and close to Sherborne where we have many friends. Is it beyond the owners of the airfield to do something about runway and taxiway condition?

Peter wrote:

On my one trip to a rock-covered place called Spanhoe

Spanhoe has been free of rocks since I’ve been going there (about 2009/2010). It also has a smooth grass runway which is free of obstacles, but you need to call Windmill Aviation to ask about its state as it can get soft in places after a wet week (someone (not me!) got an Auster stuck about halfway along last April)

Last Edited by alioth at 30 Jan 12:30
Andreas IOM

If that is within the manufacturer’s parameters then blend it in and stop worrying. I had one like that on the Meridian (by the previous owner) and it was fine.

Last Edited by JasonC at 29 Jan 18:46
EGTK Oxford

Alex_ wrote:

It might be a better option to replace this single blade.

Why ?

What’s the percieved risk or problem here ?

IMO, there is none.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

IMHO it depends on how often you go to these places If you go there a lot then just get it done minimally and when your prop has a number of dings, get it done properly. When I used to fly to Elstree I got dings all the time. On my one trip to a rock-covered place called Spanhoe, 2006 and never again, I got a ding your size, about 1/3 of the way along from the tip, and got it dressed over about a 7cm length.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the graphic, it looks like quite a lot of metal and as you say the other blades would have to have simular treatment.

It might be a better option to replace this single blade.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message