Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prop Damage

@Petet, is this really neccessary? i always thought that with metal props, the issue is that nicks create stress points, which are worse if the nick is sharp, so dressing out is mostly about achieving a smoother curvature / larger radius. So do you really need to remove 6" / 15 cm of edge, especially that close to the tip?

Biggin Hill

The FAA AC 30-37a for Propeller Maintenance, states “The repair length should be 10 times longer than the depth of the repair”.

In this case, the nick is 5mm deep, but since it needs to be filed, the finished depth will be closer to 6mm.

10 X 6mm = 6cm

Last Edited by Michael at 29 Jan 15:09
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Yes, but you then end up with a safe but messy looking job – the upper line here

which is what one would do in the field, before further flight.

In the longer run you would want to either do it neater (the lower line) or just replace the blade.

I am not a prop overhauler or an A&P, so just commenting based on what I have been told by them, and what I have seen myself.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the graphic, it looks like quite a lot of metal and as you say the other blades would have to have simular treatment.

It might be a better option to replace this single blade.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

IMHO it depends on how often you go to these places If you go there a lot then just get it done minimally and when your prop has a number of dings, get it done properly. When I used to fly to Elstree I got dings all the time. On my one trip to a rock-covered place called Spanhoe, 2006 and never again, I got a ding your size, about 1/3 of the way along from the tip, and got it dressed over about a 7cm length.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alex_ wrote:

It might be a better option to replace this single blade.

Why ?

What’s the percieved risk or problem here ?

IMO, there is none.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

If that is within the manufacturer’s parameters then blend it in and stop worrying. I had one like that on the Meridian (by the previous owner) and it was fine.

Last Edited by JasonC at 29 Jan 18:46
EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

On my one trip to a rock-covered place called Spanhoe

Spanhoe has been free of rocks since I’ve been going there (about 2009/2010). It also has a smooth grass runway which is free of obstacles, but you need to call Windmill Aviation to ask about its state as it can get soft in places after a wet week (someone (not me!) got an Auster stuck about halfway along last April)

Last Edited by alioth at 30 Jan 12:30
Andreas IOM

I won’t use Henstridge for exactly the subject of this post, which is a pity because it is in a great part of the country and close to Sherborne where we have many friends. Is it beyond the owners of the airfield to do something about runway and taxiway condition?

Also a Spanhoe supporter, but while a regular visitor the last few years have been in tailwheel aircraft, which helpfully suffer less from propeller nicks. I used to visit in a twin engine many years ago, but fortunately never suffered any nicks.

When I walk out to aircraft I do try and pick up stones and chuck them off the taxiway – somewhat ant like, but every little bit helps.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message