Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PPL LAPL medical downgrade - watch out!

Skylane-pilot wrote:

In this case it seems the examiner did not comply with the directions from the Norwegian CAA (in Norwegian only)

Aha, thanks. But, isn’t this the main issue also? The candidate was using his LAPL privileges of his PPL together with the LAPL “extension” of the medical. The examiner could in principle renew a LAPL, but not a PPL? Difficult, but when reading that direction I tend to agree with you.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

In this case it seems the examiner did not comply with the directions from the Norwegian CAA (in Norwegian only)
https://luftfartstilsynet.no/aktorer/kontrollanter/notex-20192/

Basically it says that the examiner can do a PC (not ST) for a candidate and renew the privileges if the candiate is deemed fit by the examiner even if the candiadte does not hold valid medical. Of couese the candidate is not allowed to use the priviledge until the medical is renewed.

ENKJ, Norway

I had a similar problem once in the UK (flying on a medical declaration). CAA said it was no problem. One flying school wouldn’t give me a lesson; another would.

No problems for me. I am “in sync”. The other guy, I think he ended up taking a medical.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

But you can easily get the PPL back through paperwork if you need it for flying abroad(outside EASA).

I hope this issue will be fixed for you soon. Did you check with your CAA? One should not trust 100% in what examiners say.

ESSZ, Sweden

There is no practical reason for me, or most others, not normally. But PPL is ICAO, LAPL is EASA only. There are no additional costs or fuzz to keep the better of the two, but it is something everyone has invested in. Keeping the better license is therefore the obvious choice.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Why not just downgrade to LAPL license as well?
I can see no reason why you would like to have PPL privileges one year and not the next and keep repeating that over several renewals.

ESSZ, Sweden

LeSving wrote:

Do you, AA, know what the EASA regulations say about that?

Not off the top of my head. The medical issue is complicated. I’ll dig into it when I have time.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That’s interesting. I though this happened more or less automatically due to the EES treaties.

Not automatically. The EEA is a treaty between EFTA and EU. Switzerland is part of EFTA, but not EEA. I have seriously never heard of any EFTA regulation of any sort (other than agreements). In fact to assure the “4 freedoms” through equal legislation with the EU is one of the main work of the EEA. The EEA negotiates with the EU, then a legislation has to be approved within the EEA, and finally the legislation has to be approved in each EEA memberstate like any other legislation.

Anyway, back to the topic. Do you, AA, know what the EASA regulations say about that?

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Qalupalik wrote:

does not appear to have entered into force in the EFTA states

That’s interesting. I though this happened more or less automatically due to the EES treaties.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Switzerland does not allow anyone to fly with LAPL privileges unless he downgrades his PPL irreversibly to LAPL.

Of course Switzerland isn’t part of the EES.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message