Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anyone with an LAPL(A) here? SEP validity for LAPL(A)

Does anyone know if there is a time of validity on the SEP rating if you hold an LAPL(A)? I have not yet seen an LAPL with my own eyes.

The rule says:

FCL.140.A LAPL(A) — Recency requirements
(a) Holders of an LAPL(A) shall only exercise the privileges of their licence
when they have completed, in the last 24 months, as pilots of aeroplanes or
TMG:
(1) at least 12 hours of flight time as PIC, including 12 take-offs and
landings; and
(2) refresher training of at least 1 hour of total flight time with an instructor.

(b) Holders of an LAPL(A) who do not comply with the requirements in (a)
shall:

(1) undertake a proficiency check with an examiner before they resume the
exercise of the privileges of their licence; or
(2) perform the additional flight time or take-offs and landings, flying dual
or solo under the supervision of an instructor, in order to fulfil the
requirements in (a)

ESSZ, Sweden

There is no classic class rating in the LAPL(A) and thus there is no expiry date. It is valid when the conditions are fulfilled. Pretty straightforeward. Many are confused about the lack of bureocracy :-)

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Fly310 wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a time of validity on the SEP rating if you hold an LAPL(A)?

I don’t understand the question. Could you rephrase it please?

@bookworm, on a PPL license you have an SEP rating which is valid for two years. Question was, is this the same on LAPL or is there just a SEP which is valid for life? But you could only use the privileges if you fulfill the requirements in FCL.140.A? A bit like we have with the 90-day landing vs passenger thing.

ESSZ, Sweden

For as far as I understand, the term “SEP” is only defined within the PPL context. The LAPL, just like most (European) countries’ ultralight licenses, allows the holder to pilot all aeroplanes in the relevant class.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Ah OK. So as others have said, the LAPL is designed to have “rolling validity” with no intervention from the authorities/examiners. You check your own recency against the requirements in FCL.140.A. And LAPLs have no class or type ratings.

bookworm wrote:

And LAPLs have no class or type ratings.
They don’t, but you still have to pass a skill test in the appropriate class (SEP or TMG) to fly that class on a LAPL(A).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

So, is there an easy way to convert an (expired?) PPL(A) with a SEP(L) rating to a valid LAPL(A)?

Last Edited by tmo at 29 Jan 15:46
tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

So, is there an easy way to convert an (expired?) PPL(A) with a SEP(L) rating to a valid LAPL(A)?

Just send in the right paperwork I’d say.

Thanks to everyone for good input! I think I got the hang of it. :)

ESSZ, Sweden

Just send in the right paperwork I’d say.

For a current PPL(A) yes. Although I don’t know why one would want to downgrade the licence.

If expired, you have to renew with LAPL(A) requirements, so it depends on how long the license is already expired.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message