Vans have made a big boo-boo: laser cut holes

Peter wrote:

even if it is concealed

It’s certainly is not concealed. From VAF:

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@LeSvng wrote:

not a single person has been injured.

Yet! They have already given the green light for people to fly with these parts.

Seeing the quantity of cracks in some of these builds, I can’t imagine this issue doesn’t come up again.

I have to spend another 1,000 hours knowing that’s a strong possibility

Last Edited by RV8Bob at 27 Jul 19:15
United States

Those VAF terms are hilarious… We’d have a revolution here if we did all that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Graham wrote:

@RV14 almost none of what you post there is relevant. Fuel prices, speeds (you’re only 40 knots out),

@Graham, fuel prices are as pictured, RV14 speed is as I posted back in January, 191Kts @6000ft. I’m not 40 knots out, on the contrary, my numbers are conservative, what I write is fact based

Graham wrote:

Van’s themselves now admit they are not fit for use and state they will replace them

as of today Vans said they would replace a few laser cut parts (aileron and flap spar) and might ask those of us to replace certain parts.

Graham wrote:

The implication was that with 56-odd ribs

Do you know anyone who got all of the ribs in bad shape and all 54 cracked? someone somewhere over the intenet, allegedly

Graham wrote:

You’d order new ones to absolutely no purpose, because what you’d get as new ones would be no better and you’d have no way of changing that.

Nope. On might specifically ask for this and that ie “no laser cut parts” in order notes:

Graham wrote:

A Lamborghini is historically much more likely to break down than a Fiat.

my bad, wrong example. The point I was trying to make is about expectations. Not sure when you placed your order, my guess is it was back in the time when Vans employed a total od sixtsh people. That includes everyone from the lady managing the reception desk, engineering, tech support, manufacturing, shipping etc. A small shop delivering impressive amounts of kits. Ryan more than doubled the company size since then. Expectation that they would go over and check every single piece send out to customers is in my opinion unreasonable

Poland

Those VAF terms are hilarious… We’d have a revolution here if we did all that.

Yet personal attacks seem to be allowed ;)

Last Edited by aart at 28 Jul 05:23
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Yes; it boosts advert clicks maybe 5×.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@RV14 what engine have you got? And what IAS are you flying at?
Vans claim just less than 190kts TAS at 18000ft IIRC.
This gives an IAS of approx 150kts with the engine they suggest.

Last Edited by gallois at 28 Jul 07:02
France

personal attacks seem to be allowed

Yep, and that is unfortunate as it quite often leaves a bad aftertaste after a visit there. Building, owning, maintaining an RV automatically pushes one towards the VAF, it is a great resource after all, but the atmosphere there can also be quite poisonous, on different counts… nothing like EuroGA

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@gallois, this is off Van’s webpage, and for the A (nose gear) version… the tailwheel version must obviously be a 2-3kts faster. And AFAIK, we are talking real speed, aka TAS, and not IAS

Last Edited by Dan at 28 Jul 07:19
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Adding to what Dan said, Vans is known to be conservative in performance numbers. I’m sure they could make their factory demonstrators fly faster, but it seems to me they choose not to. It certainly feels good to build a plane which exceeds expectations
Another important thing, this is experimental aviation, each aircraft might be build differently. One can trade speed for utility and safety. Mine 14 is equipped with two Flarm antennas, oversized tires, oversized prop, external Garmin GPS antenna. None of the those is installed on factory demonstrators, and every one adds to drag.

Poland
Sign in to add your message