Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the best Traffic Avoidance system for light GA in Europe today ?

@Michael wrote

The Lynx is an ADS-B system only – no TCAS.

That is not true. It depends which version you will install. TAS is part of the system. They install all the antennas to get beside the ADS-B signals, the other traffic. So the pricings seems to be reasonable. Especially because their is some wiring to do to connect it with the GTN and the Aspen and Aspen asks for a fee, to allow the picturing of the traffic on the Synthetic Vision.

EDDS , Germany

deddsPeter wrote:

TAS is part of the system. They install all the antennas to get beside the ADS-B signals, the other traffic.

Indeed, that claim appears to be true !

Peter wrote:

Lynx thread

Now THAT was an interesting read !

So, is the Lynx the ONLY fully integrated TCAS + ADS-B trafic system on the market ?

Last Edited by Michael at 08 Feb 09:36
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

The Garmin GTS800 series appears to integrate ADS-B also (this suggests it doesn’t and that a GTX345 is required) but there are almost no installer/user reports.

Why the Lynx has not eaten everybody else’s lunch (it is quite a bit cheaper, it seems) is not clear. Maybe it doesn’t get pushed, which could be due to the lower cost, poor installer support in Europe, whatever… installers in Europe are understandably really reluctant to install anything which is not well supported via the installer hotline. Or maybe it doesn’t work well.

@wigglyamp ought to know the current situation with the Avidyne and Garmin boxes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Why the Lynx has not eaten everybody else’s lunch (it is quite a bit cheaper, it seems) is not clear.

Agreed, it really looks to be a winning combo for light GA, particularly here in Europe where the full ADS-B up-take is much slower.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

The Garmin GTX345 will aggregate TAS (from Avydine or Garmin systems) and ADS-B. That’s what I have, works well; it’s striking how many TAS target I see and how little ADS-B, if I stick to GA altitudes. Commercial helicopters seem equipped though, which is good.

EGTF, LFTF

Peter wrote:

The Garmin GTS800 series appears to integrate ADS-B also (this suggests it doesn’t and that a GTX345 is required) but there are almost no installer/user reports.

The GTS800 will receive and display ADS-B targets as well as Mode A/C/S but only when the host aircraft is equipped with ADS-B OUT. Therefore if you have a GTX330-ES or similar, there will be no connection (other than suppression) between the transponder and GTS, but the GTS will operate in ADS-B Passive surveillance and well as the normal active TAS modes. If you have the GTX345 doing ADS-B OUT/IN, then you will have the merged TAS and ADS-B IN traffic data controlled through the GTX345 instead, as denopa has mentioned above.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

If I was doing this now I would seriously look at the Garmin GTS800 boxes, simply because it “obviously works” (being Garmin), reportedly doesn’t have the sensitivity to all four antenna cables having to be the same length (not sure how they did that, if it’s true, and anyway that is far from being the worst installer issue) and sidesteps concerns with Avidyne’s long term future.

I would not risk the Lynx until I researched it carefully with real owners and real installers and IIRC I have not come across any of them. In GA, there are just way too many factors and way too much disingenuity which ensures something doesn’t get discussed.

Thanks for the clarification, wigglyamp.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

reportedly doesn’t have the sensitivity to all four antenna cables having to be the same length

The GTS800 cables do have to be matched lengths for equal loss. The allowance is roughly +/- 1 inch.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Peter wrote:

I would not risk the Lynx until I researched it carefully with real owners and real installers and IIRC I have not come across any of them. In GA, there are just way too many factors and way too much disingenuity which ensures something doesn’t get discussed.

I would agree with that, hence my skepticism, and the fact that were not getting any Lynx PIREPs …

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I’ve got a quote of € 12k for an installation of a gts800 in the Mooney M20K, sounds fair?

EHTE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message