Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the best Traffic Avoidance system for light GA in Europe today ?

I‘m going to install the Lynx NGT 9000+ this year. Transponder with ADS B In and Out and TAS. I actually got an offer for below 20.000 € (material, installation, certificates, integration into my Garmin/Aspen system). For me it looks like a good solution to retrofit an older plane.

EDDS , Germany

Peter – Thanks for responding.

The Lynx is an ADS-B system only – no TCAS.

I would expect the install price to be far South of 20K€ since the list price for the unit is $7,246USD

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Avidyne Garmin Lynx offer the active products. Honeywell used to do one too. Lots of past threads; I suggest a search. Garmin is perhaps the best currently. Lynx looks good but almost zero installs so not much feedback. Avidyne historically most popular but the ADS-B upgrade (if you care about that – many past threads) may never come (a long recent thread) since the company is clearly having problems.

These systems seem to be heavily installer competence sensitive but they show far more traffic than any other system.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I suggest a search.

I started with a search, but this subject seems to have evolved rather quickly in the last 24 months, hence getting the most up-to-date info out there.

For a start, can we assume that classic TCAS à la Sky-watch and TAS600 is dead ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Peter wrote:

These systems seem to be heavily installer competence sensitive.

Whilst that seems to be very true for TCAS systems, is it still relevant for full ADS-B based systems ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

There is a summary here from a few years ago.

Lynx thread.

ADS-B should not be installation sensitive, but almost nobody is radiating it, so it is a bet of future adoption, unless you can get it as a side effect of installing something else in which case I would go for it. Needs a “W” GPS which for many is a 5 figure upgrade.

Somebody picked up an old KTA870 cheaply which works great but that will never do ADS-B.

Most installers are still pushing the TAS boxes because they know them.

One summary here.

Administrator

TAS600/Skywatch is definitely not dead, it’s the only solution that will let you “see” more than a few % of GA traffic; more than 50% actually while the adoption of the other solutions, in Europe, is still extremely low. So if you want a system that works today, that’s you’re only choice. In my opinion.

It’s interesting that the UK Air Cadets (not an organisation with the means to splurge on useless stuff) have installed TAS systems. They’ve also added FLARM, for gliders, which they often share airfields with. I just avoid gliding sites as much as I can, I had a PowerFlarm but it died of neglect.

EGTF, LFTF

The Lynx is interesting but it’s not at all clear if it’s TAS system is ADS-B dependent or rather it can indeed interrogate all Mode C&S targets, .

Can anyone confirm this ?

What about the Garmin GTX345 – can it show Mode C&S targets not transmitting ADS-B ?

denopa wrote:

TAS600/Skywatch is definitely not dead, it’s the only solution that will let you “see” more than a few % of GA traffic; more than 50% actually while the adoption of the other solutions, in Europe, is still extremely low. So if you want a system that works today, that’s you’re only choice.

That’s what I suspected, thanks for the PIREP.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Peter wrote:

almost nobody is radiating
ADSB

I would say that in some places, at low altitudes almost nobody is radiating mode C. On the other hand, ADSB adoption will only go up, there is no question about it.

The Lynx is interesting but it’s not at all clear if it’s TAS system is ADS-B dependent or rather it can indeed interrogate all Mode C&S targets, .
Can anyone confirm this ?

Lynx thread

TAS600/Skywatch is definitely not dead,

I’ve got the TAS605 I reckon in number of installation terms Avidyne are way ahead in Europe. The whole RAF Grob fleet installed these after their mid-air; that job was done by perhaps the only UK firm which knew how to install it properly (Lees Avionics).

Administrator
Sign in to add your message