Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the best Traffic Avoidance system for light GA in Europe today ?

Here is an older thread on the Monroy ATD300.

It’s largely inconclusive because nobody actually knew anything much about it let alone seen one (except for the report by @mm_flynn saying it basically doesn’t work; BTW I know him personally and he would not make it up) but it seems clear that there is “something” very wrong with that unit otherwise Avidyne and Garmin would be out of business on their TAS products.

On the 1st post, I think (and have written this in the many threads here on electronic conspicuity, privacy, etc) we will never get a proper solution because

• GA is too fragmented, in both outlook and funding capability
  • a lot of pilots want to be invisible (because of unwillingness to fix a broken transponder / broken altitude encoder, “government surveillance” worries, to get away with CAS busts, the basing if a homebuilt somewhere beyond the maximum permitted residence time, flying one through airspace for which a permit was not obtained, because there is something not quite right about their registration or other papers, general privacy concerns with FR24 and related sites which make your trips visible to all, etc)
  • there is strong resistance from GA organisations to mandatory transponders or ADS-B in Class G so this alone will IMHO never happen
  • there are no certified (panel mounted) boxes for FLARM or any of the other “low cost” systems, so the traffic can be viewed only on a tablet, which is messy and useless unless you make a bluetooth connection to the aircraft intercom, or directly to a bluetooth headset (and can feed only one headset that way, unless you go to more complications)
  • most of the “more serious” pilots don’t want to fly with wires hanging around the cockpit (this can be solved, with some work)
  • airliners use Mode C only for TCAS warnings

and so on. Many previous threads e.g. here.

Put FLARM or similar into the search box here and you will have tons of reading

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

All of which seems to prove the point that there is actually nothing on the market that provides safe coverage for all aircraft sharing the sky, apart from perhaps the Monroy? But this unit is hardly ever mentioned for some reason – not sure why.

Last Edited by jgmusic at 27 Jan 18:59
jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

there is strong resistance from GA organisations to mandatory transponders or ADS-B in Class G so this alone will IMHO never happen

To me, this resistance itself is not enough to prevent compulsory ADS-B.
Look at 8,33. It cost much money for ZERO benefit for anyone, except spending more time turning knobs. ADS-B would be so much useful than 8,33.
And what happened ?
Nothing. It is now compulsry and everyone, gliders, hot air balloons, everything that flies has to comply.

So if near misses and traffic-avoidance manoeuvers increase for CAT, they will ask and obtain to make ADS-B compulsory.
All the CAAs will be so much happy to be able to track everybody and put names on infringements. They will flabbily try to explain that it is meant for us, but we’ll know the truth.
And we are already so tracked by the GAFA that there will be little complains.

Peter wrote:

there are no certified (panel mounted) boxes for FLARM

I found this and saw it once on an aircraft for sale on planecheck. Can’t find it anymore.

LFOU, France

Thanks Peter, this is hugely illuminating, if rather depressing! So there’s basically nothing on offer that provides a catch-all solution to this problem, despite the hype of the advertising of the various platforms which is essentially very misleading.

Traffic Service it is then, if ATC workload permits…!

Last Edited by jgmusic at 27 Jan 22:09
jgmusic

I love watching y’all discuss ADS-B non stop and uncommitted to its benefits. I’d take CTAF and ADS-B any day over 8.33 and whatever non-standard piece of proprietary equipment you choose in its place.

"Fly the airplane"
KPAE EGSO

Powerflarm has an optional 1090ES and ADSB receiver !

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

My Android tablet shares that technology. Lol. What’s the point, it’s like selling cars that can only honk outside of the 20Hz to 20kHz range we know and love. Sure you can still hear others honking at you, but how much more interesting would it be if they can’t hear you honking at them! :)

"Fly the airplane"
KPAE EGSO

Does anyone know:
Since when is the PowerFlarm Core being sold with an optional 1090ES/ ADS-B receiver ? Was that always the case or has it been added as an option only recently ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Guys, now I am really getting confused.

I was told many times that the PowerFlarm Core devices will interface and can legally be installed displaying onto certified avionics such as a GNS430, Aspen e.t.c.

Or is it still like this that only the Garrecht can do that?

Only I can not find any information to this. Has anyone installed it this way and how did that work out?

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 28 Jan 11:52
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Presumably PowerFLARM is a good place to start as it picks up FLARM, ADS-B, Mode S and Mode C?

I’m just keen to find something that makes flying into IMC a slightly less “what if” affair, whilst waiting for a response from ATC (workload/response time pending…) as you can’t always just turn around or divert.

Surely I’m not alone?

Last Edited by jgmusic at 28 Jan 12:12
jgmusic
Sign in to add your message