Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G5 (merged thread)

I’m planning to start IR training but my KCS55A seems to have a problem whereby the CDI will only centre if you rotate the OBS about 60 degrees away from the true radial you’re on.
Is it fair to say that getting a G5 is a no-brainer compared with trying to get the KCS repaired? I’m strongly leaning that way given it offers a chance to upgrade GPSS roll steering which I don’t currently have with my KFC150.

EIMH, Ireland

That bearing error suggests that something has come off in the X/Y/400Hz OBS connections. Every CDI/HSI/EHSI system is vulnerable to that error – unless it all connects via ARINC429 in which case you just lose the whole lot

It could be a fault inside the CDI only (KI204 or some such) especially if the KI525 HSI works correctly and they aren’t too bad to fix – or pick up another one on US Ebay

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Garmin G5 not yet certified in EASA-land – Anybody know why?

Does anybody know what the “slight problem” Garmin have getting the G5 approved in EASA -land?

I’m booked in soon to have one fitted soon, but obviously it’s not going to happen unless we have a bit of progress in the next few weeks!

United Kingdom

What issue? The G5 as a replacement attitude indicator is already EASA certified:

EASA STC 10060846 (FAA STC SA01818WI)

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Are you referring to the fact that it cannot be used as a backup instrument?

LFPT, LFPN

Thanks Wigglyamp, Yes it’s to replace my attitude indicator but I was also getting the Magnetometer fitted so it could also display other information.

Either that is the problem or I have my facts wrong! I’d better check – Thanks!

United Kingdom

Isn’t this “backup issue” the same under FAA or EASA?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Aviathor wrote:

Are you referring to the fact that it cannot be used as a backup instrument?

Just to clarify, my understanding is that the G5 can be installed in place of a primary Ai or a primary turn coordinator (and if you put it where the AI was you can move the AI to where the TC was and remove the TC).

There’s no prohibition per-se on using the G5 as a backup instrument, it’s just not one of the options covered in the STC. I don’t think there’s anything stopping Garmin getting an STC for the G5 to be a backup to eg an Aspen – they just haven’t bothered. Presumably, they don’t think that’s as big a market and have decided to prioritise G5 installations replacing steam instruments.

EGEO

Do you know if it can be installed on a EASA aircraft as a primary HSI, replacing a DG?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 02 Oct 09:15
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Do you know if it can be installed on a EASA aircraft as a primary HSI, replacing a DG?

I think that’s the intention. No idea whether or not the STC is completed.

EGEO
Sign in to add your message