Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G5 (merged thread)

The G5 won’t under any circumstances provide attitude data to a legacy autopilot.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

So in that case 2xG5 won’t be competition for Aspen, as the latter can drive autopilots via the EA100.

Aspen can only be the attitude source for the Avidyne DFC90. Other autopilots are either rate based or have their own attitude source.

2xG5 is very similar to what Aspen offer. Not quite the same feature set but higher redundancy.

Aspen can only be the attitude source for the Avidyne DFC90.

The Aspen EFD1000 can emulate the vacuum KI256 via the EA100 converter. In this way it can drive the old King autopilots.

A G500+GAD43 (or a G600 which contains a GAD43) does a similar job.

Anyway, this is all good news. I wonder what avionics installers think of it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

wigglyamp wrote:

The G5 won’t under any circumstances provide attitude data to a legacy autopilot.

G5 for Certificated Aircraft Update
Third-Party Autopilot Compatibility
Provides Heading and Course Error from G5 to Third-Party Autopilot
Utilizes New Gad 29B Adapter
Enables Following Modes with Compatible Navigation Source
Heading
GPSS
Navigation
Instrument Approach
Expected to Include the Following Autopilots:
Century
Cessna
Honeywell (Bendix King)
S-Tec
New Flush Mount Kit Also to be Made Available
Garmin G5

For more detailed information regarding the updates to the G5 go here [malformed Garmin URL fixed up so it works] local copy

Last Edited by pmh at 20 Jul 20:24
pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

I am amazed there is not more chat about this! Coincidentally, I am having a G5 fitted to replace my attitude indicator later this year when doing 8.33

Up until this news from Garmin, I had to keep my steam driven DI as this fed my Autopilot but now

• with a second G5 and a US$ 699 interface
  • I can completely ditch my vacuum pump and vac gauge (releasing panel space)
  • both G5’s can switch modes so redundancy
  • The flush mounting kit sounded really good as the installation below looks a bit clunky/ 1960’s

This is a big deal for all of those PA28’s etc out there………..I was really excited about this until I read about the Dynon Skyview HDX this morning!!

Oh well, I’ll still fit one Garmin G5 and wait a few months now – all of this competition is really good and is forcing Garmin and others to fight a little rather than hiding behind the TSO’d protection.

United Kingdom

Reviving an old thread:

Lucius wrote:

I am trying to figure out why the G5 is unable to detect a flight attitude that is physically impossible, despite having GPS and pitot static data available

Recent updates (I’m not sure which update is available for certified units) have hugely improved the AI’s performance.

The only issue I’ve had with my G5 was if the time between startup and takeoff was very short then the AI would give poor indication (up to 10 degrees angle of bank and 5 pitch) for the first 10 minutes of flying (especially if the taxi out was on bumpy ground). I found you needed at least 5 minutes on the ground for it to indicate correctly in the air.

The most recent software update (v3.20) has fixed this, since applying this update the G5 will be ready to go even if there’s only about 30 seconds between power up and takeoff. (Such short times between startup and the takeoff roll only happen because I’m towing gliders).

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

The only issue I’ve had with my G5 was if the time between startup and takeoff was very short then the AI would give poor indication (up to 10 degrees angle of bank and 5 pitch) for the first 10 minutes of flying (especially if the taxi out was on bumpy ground). I found you needed at least 5 minutes on the ground for it to indicate correctly in the air.

I think this is fairly standard on electronic displays. Certainly the Proline 21 takes some time to initialise and you shouldn’t taxi until it’s done. Same with the standby instrument we have with the Proline, that takes 180 seconds to initialise, and it counts down on the display.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Well, except the G5 manual explicitly says that alignment can take place during taxi and you don’t need to be stopped. The “ALIGNING” message would also go away after a few seconds.

Indeed, before the latest update it worked satisfactorily if I had a taxi a few minutes before taking off. Now it seems to be actually aligned when the “ALIGNING” message goes away :-)

Last Edited by alioth at 15 Aug 16:33
Andreas IOM

The Sandel SG102 AHRS which I have takes about 3 mins to stabilise. In theory it won’t stabilise in flight but in practice it eventually does, if you fly very smoothly and straight, on autopilot.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message