Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G5 (merged thread)

I have just read on a US site that Garmin has no plans for this product to support any older (mostly analog) autopilots e.g. the King stuff.

Also, reportedly, the FAA is making certification of the G5 as a backup system for EFIS systems like the G500 and Aspen difficult. I don’t have details of why, however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Tököl LHTL

Can I now remove my standby altimeter, ASI, AI and vacuum system and replace them with a G5? Please, please, please!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

With a G5 probably not but a L3 Trilogy yes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

I talked to a Garmin rep yesterday and what I understood is that it is difficult for Garmin to find a good argument for allowing the G5 as a standby after having argued that it could be approved as a primary because the backup would be electromechanical or vacuum.

LFPT, LFPN

Another item is this interface:

Garmin also announced third-party autopilot interfaces for the G5 EHSI/DG, which provides heading and course data to existing S-TEC, Century and BendixKing autopilots. This requires the new GAD29B adapter.

This one is pretty interesting. Now you need to see the price. With 2 Garmin G5 (EFIS+HSI) and a GAD29B, that’s direct competition for Aspen.

Belgium

Does that mean a G5 can drive say a BK KFC150? Doean’t say anything about attitude data.

The G5 cannot serve as source of attitude data for autopilots other than the GFC 500.

@ploucando: for a lot of certified airframes, S-TEC is the only option today. Their prices for the cr*ppiest equipment possible are similar to what Garmin are asking.

Sign in to add your message