Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

I’m happily flying with a medical grade conserver up to FL160.
Total cost including the cannulas and D size bottle was ca. $200

Poland

There are probably lots of these devices. One sees a lot of people with O2 cylinders, especially if visiting a doctor, and any kind of demand regulator will save at least 2x on the gas. Even the primitive Precise Flow / Nelson I used to use saved 2.5×.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That looks like the OM900, rated to 10k. Thanks for the PIREP.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I don’t believe it’s “rated” for any altitude, all it does is to release a pulse of oxygen
use at your own risk, I would strongly suggest on the ground

Poland

Peter wrote:

I used to live with this from UK scuba shops for years. This is why I rent a W size BOC cylinder, for about 100 quid a year. Stick your middle finger to these twats and do the same

So my very local Scuba Shop has taken a picture and sent the bottle picture to IDEST to check if they will permit filling. This is despite me showing him all the appropriate paperwork that this bottle is legit.

Anyway I may have to just invest. Does the W size BOC fill the CFFC-048 no issues Peter? If so how many times to 2216?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Not sure what adapters are available, but North weald is rigged up for O2 fills.
It’s intended for direct aircraft filling but I’d be surprised if they had an issue doing an 02 cylinder that was Aviation dedicated, just because it’s not bolted into the aircraft.

United Kingdom

You would have to calculate how many times a 3000psi source can fill a 2216psi destination, with those relative volumes. I don’t know how to work it out.

But that isn’t the point, which is that the “48 cu ft” cylinder is totally useful even when just say half full.

I exchange my W cylinder every couple of years.

Administrator

GA_Pete wrote:

Not sure what adapters are available, but North weald is rigged up for O2 fills.
It’s intended for direct aircraft filling but I’d be surprised if they had an issue doing an 02 cylinder that was Aviation dedicated, just because it’s not bolted into the aircraft.

I think they also had BS1 as the connection, which I didn’t have with me. I can’t actually remember if that was the dive shop standard. I also don’t have a car, so driving to North Weal which is about 20 minutes from Stapleford every time is additional costs.

Peter wrote:

I exchange my W cylinder every couple of years.

Is the W cylinder 3000psi? If so I’ll just get that and the valve setup I found a few months back. That should do it.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 15 Sep 16:58
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Yes; 3000psi. This is standard.

Administrator

I believe the slightly smaller (40 vs 50 litre) tank is 300bar which is ~4300psi (vs 200bar / ~2900psi for the 50l one).

The guys that sold me my 50 litre tank (1200 pln, plus another 100 for the O2) suggested I run it down a bit and if I decide I want a cascade, buy the smaller, higher pressure one and use the the large one as a “first stage” and top off with the smaller one.

Then the sailplane guys (hint, hint) told me which scuba shop fills their bottles for 20pln a pop without asking any undue questions…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message