Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

Peter wrote:

Why horizontal? Just have it standing and make a bracket or something to secure it to the wall, so it cannot fall over.

Space at the AD may be at a premium, we can store near the aircraft lying down. We have no wall, just a storage box and can get a bigger one for this to fit. The shed is an option, but then the weight is top heavy.

This one right? I’ve got that on the AL-647

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

@Peter

Seems like Sub-Aqua Products (UK) Ltd no longer exist, unless they’ve moved and have now renamed themselves.

I have found a location to store the Oxygen bottle, just need to get the exact same format of (I believe BS341) + pressure valve and then the connection from BS piping to the AV Bottle.

Wonder where I am gonna find someone to make all that unless I also DIY that myself.

EGSG, United Kingdom

Correct; they went bust a few years ago, as I have just found out.

I have not been successful in finding somebody who can make a hose with a male BOC bullnose. But I haven’t spent a lot of time on it. The actual bullnose is easy enough to find, Ebay etc. You need to find a hose fittings company where somebody has a brain – rare these days!

The reason is that most cylinders have a regulator screwed directly into them

and there is a clue: the male bullnose fitting is at the bottom of that. You just don’t want to pay the cost of a regulator just to cut off that fitting. Well, for 55 quid, here is one!

Then one needs to connect to the other end of that removed fitting. It’s quite a fine thread and absolutely nobody knows what it is. It’s not hard to do – drill and tap something like 1/8 BSPP and you can get a hose made. This is not trivial to do yourself without appropriate engineering skills. You can kill yourself; 3000psi will produce flying objects with mach3+ speeds.

Then you need to get that fitting with a pressure gauge and a bleeder button. I have not found any just now.

Maybe @emir knows; this stuff is probably common in the scuba business, filling one cylinder from another, etc.

from here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

Seems like Sub-Aqua Products (UK) Ltd no longer exist, unless they’ve moved and have now renamed themselves.

They might have. Undersea Centre Limited has Michael Francis Hall as a Director. He is listed on Companies House as the former director of Sub-Aqua Products.

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

This popped up in a Google search: fti

No idea if they are the right type of place for making the part.

Last Edited by derek at 03 Apr 14:14
Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

They might have. Undersea Centre Limited has Michael Francis Hall as a Director. He is listed on Companies House as the former director of Sub-Aqua Products.

and they have the right parts showing. I will update my web article.

Administrator

Just contacted one diving firm to see if they knew what would be needed and they found this for me. Which will set me back £600. Just need to convert the male DIN to the cylinder I use. I presume this is what the diving shops use.

Peter wrote:

You can kill yourself; 3000psi will produce flying objects with mach3+ speeds.

What did you say to BOC by the way when you got a welding gas cylinder? I was asking the BOC guy what connections are what, and when I said what I planned on doing – he freaked out a little, saying he’d never do it. it’s dangerous. Do I just tell them when I get the bottle I am welding? Lol

EGSG, United Kingdom

Do I just tell them when I get the bottle I am welding?

Obviously

You mention “aviation” and 99% of scuba shops will throw you out. I went around that circuit here a few times.

£600 is a lot of money for that…

Administrator

Well the Scuba people today have been helpful that I’ve rang up. It was the guy at BOC that had an absolute hissy fit about me refilling, saying it’s very dangerous.

Yes I’d be an idiota to buy that for £600.

Peter wrote:

Obviously

You mention “aviation” and 99% of scuba shops will throw you out. I went around that circuit here a few times.

£600 is a lot of money for that…

I was just recommended to contact that firm too. Just dropping them an email too.

derek wrote:

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 03 Apr 15:48
EGSG, United Kingdom

A decent quality gauge is about £100-150. The rest… there is a bit of labour in making up the hose. But a scuba shop selling trimix will be doing this regularly.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message