Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 GT main landing gear gas shock seal kit, and overhaul

Different gas fills will get you different stand heights. That is why I simply fill up to desired stand heights on wheels, nothing else matters. Allright, having to fill up at those pressures by Schrader valve is a bit awkward, a screwed on adapter will be a good idea, not just like with car tires.
Just had another idea: Why not use CO2 cylinders for pressurizing struts ? Could be had from welding companies easily, less so with nitrogen I guess.

Vic
vic
EDME

I guess it might have something to do with that CO2 is a liquid at relatively low pressures and so the pressure you get from the bottle is highly temperature dependent – around 60 bar / 870 psi at 22 degrees and less than 40 bar / 580 psi at 0 degrees.

Biggin Hill
Thank you for the info, did not know much about that kind of properties. I was just thinking about any gases you´d get from welding supply. I never had a need for nitrogen, do you get it from welding business as well ? Could be argon or helium as well ? Vic
vic
EDME

High pressure Nitrogen is widely available from industrial suppliers, and cheap.

Helium would leak past the seals very quickly.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Jul 16:07

Yes; I posted the disposable cylinder details above.

There is however a funny problem with these, which nobody selling them is willing or able to discuss, and I suspect nobody knows: the thing which screws onto them

is a regulator. There seem to be no simple valves. When you unscrew the knob, it pushes a pin into the cylinder valve, which is required, but a “regulator” is not desired. The text says 4 bar output (60psi) which is nonsense; it is actually about 700psi. One cannot obtain the full cylinder pressure without constructing something, which will be my next job.

The pic shows an outlet for a plastic tube, which I obviously replaced with something much more robust.

The diagram posted by Cobalt above shows how you can get dry ice with CO2, without having to go “properly cryogenic”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There seem to be no simple valves

One cannot obtain the full cylinder pressure without constructing something, which will be my next job

Good point.

It’ll be interesting to see what you come up with.

Am I right, you want a regulator on the disposable cylinder, with output up to 50-100 bar ? I would not think you can get this as there is rarely a use for it – unless in aviation. And I don´t see the need for it really, just hook a manometer in the line for reading the pressure once the Schrader valve is open to the fill hose. In this stage you open the bottle valve very slowly and watch the pressure rise to your desired setting. Then close the valves and bleed the hose. I´d go for higher pressure and only release at the Schrader with aircraft sitting on LG for stand height, no matter what handbooks say. In photo below my filling device that goes onto a common air cylinder 200 bar and a special adapter for the all metric Yak LG valves, no Schrader here. But similar pin on the LG valve for opening it by screwing in at my adapter. So same procedure: Connect hose at both ends to cylinder and LG valve, open the LG valve by adapter screw- in pin and you can see actual pressure on manometer. Open the cylinder valve slowly and watch manometer and LG rising same time. Do some tests of stand height by jumping on aircraft or wiggling at wing ends. In case you want less pressure, screw in the pin and bleed slowly, no need for more sophisticated devices, not used much typically on own aircraft. Vic

In two days we did two Yak annuals at our airfield and filled up one strut as it was a bit low for a while, the owner seen working on the LG air supply on wheels certainly :

vic
EDME

you want a regulator on the disposable cylinder, with output up to 50-100 bar ?

I just want an outlet valve. No regulator. I already have the filling rig above.

The thread is M10; 1mm pitch IIRC. I have plenty of the fittings but the only way one can buy them is as a regulator.

The “complication” is that the cylinder valve has a pin which needs to be pushed down to open the flow.

A simple enough engineering exercise but an irritation to discover the reason why the gas isn’t coming out

The other thing is that all these “regulators” bleed a bit of air as you screw them on – because the pin already sticks out a bit.

The obvious way to disable the regulator function is to replace that spring with a piece of solid tube.

You have made the same thing except you have a DIN valve fitting, presumably for scuba cylinders.

Why do I bother using these crappy cylinders? Because anything above is rental-only, around 100 quid a year, plus 20 quid for a swap/refill.

I am still laughing at Cobalt’s cruel demolition of my concern (albeit widely posted) that 2000psi + will be needed

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I am still laughing at Cobalt’s cruel demolition of my concern (albeit widely posted) that 2000psi + will be needed

You’re welcome.

Biggin Hill

An hour on the lathe and voila

Works perfectly

and zero gas loss when it is screwed onto the cylinder. The old design is an incredibly stupid idea. You probably lose about 5% of the cylinder content on each attachment.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message