Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 GT main landing gear gas shock seal kit, and overhaul

As a postscript to this, I recommend getting a gear puller ready before starting

because the pin at the base of the gas shock does not move in normal gear operation and is thus almost certain to be corroded in place. One can hammer it out, and people do, but there is a risk doing that because the gas shock body is aluminium. If you crack it, it is scrap…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As a further postscript, I think the upper seal should have a bit of Loctite thread locker on it. Otherwise it can quite easily pop out. The CMM does not mention this but the original seals were so hard to remove (even destroying them) that Socata probably did use something like that.

If the seal pops out, the upper o-ring also becomes dislodged, but the lowest o-ring maintains the pressure just fine. In fact, as I wrote above, Socata assembled one of the two units with just one o-ring and it lasted 20 years

Administrator

Fascinating write up Peter. I recently did the mains on my US based P28R (it was listing rather to the right, and as long as we were doing one, the overhaul kit for those was pennies, as measured in aviation dollars). While it started getting low and I was out on a trip I popped into hangers at a few fields and offered some beer money for a wiff of nitrogen to keep me going for a bit — although I suspect this level of access to Nitrogen at random airports is a US phenomena. I can confirm that the lifting apparatus was “go out to the end of the wing and lift it up a bit more”.

One rather colorful gentlemen explained to me a different field repair for a completely blown strut — namely a length of radiator hose wrapped around the strut, secured with a couple of hose clamps and ginger landings. I make no comment on how exactly that would fare in a ramp check, but funnily enough when I mentioned it to my A&P he said “oh yeah, that works”, so I guess it’s a known method.

I did ultimately buy a normal sized bottle of nitrogen to keep in the hanger for those spring and fall temperature changes requiring a bit of a top up. I got a used welding tank on Facebook marketplace and swapped it out at the local gas dealer (the same people who swap out my oxygen tanks).

Last Edited by flippiefloppies at 15 Jul 14:11
KTUS, KAVQ, LRBS, LRPV, Romania

Thanks

The bottleneck on this job is the need to jack up the wing (only one jack is needed) so you have to borrow that somewhere, because it has to be fully extended to be gassed up.

Administrator
Not my view. Why exactly not gas it up for decent stand height ?? This is all that matters and I give a sh*t about numbers in handbooks and go for working conditions – a bit less pressure may be helpful on rough terrain. Why insist on nitrogen in shocks at all, air got 80 percent of nitrogen and 20 percent oxygen will not matter at all ?? Not worth the hassle I´d say. "Correct " pressures can be too hard in real life and common o-rings for piston rod seals not overly clever with extra friction from this. Well, did just that as well some years ago but would go for hydraulic seals today, made from polyurethane certainly – like on any hydraulic machinery for decades. The strut top seal on the Socata popping out just confirms my less enthusiastic respect for Socata designers . . . Vic
vic
EDME

Why exactly not gas it up for decent stand height ??

Calculate the required pressure, based on the rod diameter and the weight. It is 2000-3000psi, which is nontrivial especially as 3000psi is what comes out from a brand new gas cylinder.

However, it is pretty obvious that the 666 psi stamped on the unit is not enough; it wants to be about 700 psi for the TB20. A small difference makes a big difference to where it ends up sitting.

Why insist on nitrogen in shocks at all, air got 80 percent of nitrogen and 20 percent oxygen will not matter at all

It can be air but needs to be dry to avoid corrosion, and nitrogen is widely used because – like most gases – it is produced by cryogenic distillation and is thus automatically dry.

The strut top seal on the Socata popping out just confirms my less enthusiastic respect for Socata designers

Which aspect of the top seal would you improve on and what with?

One thing I need to sort out for next time is a tool which ensures the top seal goes in perfectly square. One also needs – if using a hydraulic press – one with a pressure gauge so one can see when the seal has bottomed-out.

Administrator
There was a good reason why in one of your struts the top o-ring was left out: Once the bottom o-ring leaks a bit it will pressurize the upper o-ring and thus pushes on the top seal – which is just a dirt wiper seal. So simple cure: Leave the upper o-ring out and the wiper will stay put by its press fit . Otherwise you could bin the o-ring spacer and do a 0.5 mm groove for a 1 mm wire clip just below the top edge for securing the wiper seal. I cannot see any trouble with filling up the strut, by nitrogen or air, from a 3000 psi bottle, while the plane sits on its landing gear. No need for a manometer here, just open the bottle valve slowly and watch the strut rise. If you find the shock too hard, bleed it on the Schrader valve later as you would on your car tire. Certainly you got a common hydraulic hose with adapters on for the job, but this costs next to nothing in aviation money. My dive compressor does 200 bar for filling air bottles , so would be suitable for filling the Socata strut easily. Never had any water content in the air system from bottles, you take care of condensation while filling the bottles from the compressor. Divers would not be happy with water from the bottles while deep down, might form some ice in valves ! Also, there is an oil fill in the strut that may protect from rust , but then, I don´t believe there will be much water collected inside, nitrogen or not. Quality aircraft like from Russia will have hardchromed piston rods and air cylinders, so water is not a factor at all, but air tanks in other places get checked in periods certainly. Vic
vic
EDME

This is what happened

and you may be right, but

• why was the o-ring missing on just one gas shock
  • why is this not documented
  • when the seal popped out, there was no trace of fluid there, so it didn’t get pushed out by pressure
Administrator
I think Socata knew their flaw with the upper o-ring which was only kept in its place by the press fit of the wiper seal. Once a decent pressure

from a small air leak at the lower oring has built up between rings the upper o-ring will press out the wiper , so better leave out the upper o-ring.
I do not believe the oil filling to reach up to the o-rings so then no oil will leak past them. It is only air fill that pushes on o-rings.
The lifted wiper seal may be useful as a tell-tale of small air leak inside but then you just look at stand height of LG and that should do. Fill up
as required while aircraft on wheels, not worthwhile for jacking up the lot.

Vic
vic
EDME

That sounds plausible, but it is necessary to lift up that 2nd o-ring only maybe 1-2mm and the pressure under it will escape into the base of the wiper seal, from where it will easily escape to the outside.

Nothing surprises me re Socata lack of honesty (seen way too much, like my new plane having been built with a lot of used avionics, resulting in a warranty bill of 5 digits) but this would be subterfuge by the gas shock supplier – prob90 some obscure French company catering for the homebuilt market, now long ago bankrupt – rather than Socata who would have not known anything about it.

Quite likely any known “seal popping” issue would have been quietly fixed with Loctite on the wiper seal, which I did this time. Those seals were a total bastard to remove and had to be cut into bits to get them out, suggesting they were a bit more than a “press fit”

It will be interesting if the other one pops out… I should probably try to push some Loctite onto the wiper seal on that.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message