Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Parts shortages and waiting times on engines and props threaten GA?

I think it’s a different filter on the O360 isn’t it?

EHRD, Netherlands

I think it’s a different filter on the O360 isn’t it?

Yes, it is a different oil filter.

I just searched availability from suppliers for the larger 48104 filter that is used on the remote mounted system on my plane. They’re available off the shelf, as per my recent local purchase. Worst case there’s always eBay

My experience with internet purchasing is that flying something slightly unusual is often a benefit when it comes to buying non-OEM or NOS parts, the opposite of what many believe.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Aug 17:09

Give LAS a call.

They have just got stock of 48103 (TB20) despite showing 0 stock.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, I knew from my recent experience with replacing my propeller that it was 9 months until I got the replacement, but it appears things are really bad on the engine front as well.

I read the story of a guy who lost his airplane (had to sell it in pieces) as there are no cylinders available for his IO320 engines and Lycoming gave him a delivery slot for a set of 4 new ones in 2025? Likewise, when I inquired if it was possible to do a full overhaul of my engine on the occasion of it being apart due to my sudden stoppage inspection, I got the answer they can’t get any cylinders and other parts within the realistic future.

Obviously this is a massive problem for anyone who has either engine issues or needs to overhaul engines.

Also Avionics appear to have delivery times of up to a year.

What are people’s experiences here? If this goes on, GA will become even more unreliable as it is anyway.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Well, I am in the process of getting my ducks in a row for a mayor avionics update on my Beech.
To my astonishment, most parts are easy to get. It becomes tricky on the transponder front, but I can manage.

Can’t comment on the engine front. MT Prop gave me an estimate of 9 months lead time for a new prop, so that front still seems tricky…

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

Mooney_Driver wrote:

What are people’s experiences here?

You can get cylinders from other manufacturers than the Lycoming…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

You can overhaul cylinders…

An IO-320 is a slightly unusual variant in terms of cylinders. A friend in Florida had a prop strike with his a couple of years ago and decided he would order a whole new engine with roller cam followers…. He is getting up there in years, loves the plane he has flown for almost 50 years and has no obvious heirs It took something like 6 months to take delivery of the new engine, at that time.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Sep 10:06

Mooney_Driver wrote:

What are people’s experiences here?

As far as I can tell, no such problems with Rotax.

EDLE

O-200 crank is now £8K plus VAT and now date on delivery.

Very few people would buy a new O-200 crankshaft, there are enough used ones available… to the extent that people use them on C-85s as a more readily available and STC’d option. So given very low demand and production volume, Lycoming having taken over in the high utilization training fleet, if you want a new O-200 crankshaft you pay for it.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Sep 11:25
Sign in to add your message