Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AVGAS refuelling mat

Does anyone of you use a fuel mat to avoid scratches on the wing by the fuel nozzel? I found one for 178USD + shipping plus VAT (aircraft spruce US). Thats a lot for just a mat with a hole but itˋs avgas resistance. Holding the fuel nozzel of the wing is a hard job when you have to fill 150 liter or more in the wing of a PA46. Itˋs a low wing aircraft but itˋs tank nozzel is higher than other low wing aircrafts so itˋs hard to hold the fuel nozzel of the wing for about 5 min each side.

EDWF, Germany

I’ve never used one but I’d be tempted to make something up. Even if it needs renewing every year, it’ll still save $178+ at current availability of scrap impervious fabric.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Yes, I admit I do use a fuel mat … kind of … I use a cheap standard rubber mat from a car dealer, cost something like 3 or 4 Euros.

Germany

Yes after having my plane painted I use one, just a rubber floor mat bought from a garage accessory shop, just the job to protect the wing from the nozzle handle

I use http://www.aljac.de/ I believe it’s bit cheaper than the one you’ve found and it’s good quality product.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I bought some rectangular rubber mat online and cut a hole. Works… 5€

always learning
LO__, Austria

I have never had one. I agree that if the wing is rather high, it could be a bit tedious always holding the nozzle in such a way that it doesn’t touch the wing surface, but in most low-wing SEPs (such as the SR22G2), it is no problem. I don’t have a single scratch in the paint near the fuel ports, after 17 years.

I guess the other advantage is that it will catch any small drips during the refuelling process, so that they don’t end up on the wing.

Still. Would be yet one more thing to carry around in ther aircraft, taking up space and useful load. Plus, don’t these mats stink?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Tigerflyer wrote:

Holding the fuel nozzel of the wing is a hard job when you have to fill 150 liter or more in the wing of a PA46.

Have you found a position where you can “put down” the nozzle at a PA-46 so that it doesn’t stop every other second? Would be very interested to learn it.

My challenge is that – due to the tank geometry – I have to hold the nozzle in a very awkward “upside down” position to get the fuel in quickly…

Germany

I refueled the PA46 only once by myself but it was very uncomfortable. Would be easier to put the tube over the shoulder but this is a way I donˋt like.
Thanks for all the reply. I thought about the topic and came to the conclusion that I will try an old hand towel. It‘s a cheaper, light weight solution and you can use it for several other thinks. Stowage either in the aft part of the wx radar or the very very small compartment on the right side of the door. Fits an old oil can and a small funnel.
@Emir I contacted Aljac today by phone. The small mat is 152,9€ +VAT+plus 15€ postage. Weight is 1,2kg.

Last Edited by Tigerflyer at 25 Aug 21:01
EDWF, Germany

Years ago I did this but ultimately it was not satisfactory and makes a mess on the wing.

A mat would be better but I fear it will smell badly of fuel. The cockpit already smells quite a bit, of Plexus I believe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message