Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Late summer in northern and central Italy

all SR22s have TKS

Really?

Do even the latest ones come with full TKS as standard?

If so, what is the base price (and with what avionics)?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great report.

It is normal that if you have deice your stall horn will go early. It will be in your poh.

Why?

EGTK Oxford

Yes, but all SR22s have TKS, Bosco's too and his seems to come on later. I will have to test that at altitude today to make sure I am right ...

@alexisvc

Do you have deice?

It is normal that if you have deice your stall horn will go early. It will be in your poh.

Bosco, next time you come to Italy fly a little more south, just past Rome, and we can meet. Or let me know in time and I can fly up midway. I always enjoy staying at Sansepolcro.

Great report, great photos.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

Bravo - lots of fond memories flying N850 but inbound from the UK to LIML. Great ad for the versatility of the Cirrus.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

...interesting. have to check if it can be calibrated (... and how fast i really was, but it was not slower than maybe 70-68) ...

No, comes on at about 62 knots or about 3 knots above stall.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

My limit is down to 600-700 m grass now when I'm alone... Take-off is really not an issue in the SR22, I also manage to be airborne in 350 m, even with 3/4 fuel ... It's pretty clear that after a while the wheel pants will suffer, I already bought a small supply of holding brackets (one broke already). What really bothers me a bit is that the stall warning comes on really early, at around 70 in my plane. So on every grass field approach it's screaming the last 100 meters beffor touchdown. (Does yours do that too?)

Fuel requires some dilligent planning in Italy, even though in the northern and central parts, it is much less of a problem. Fuel was available at Massa Cinquale, and I took 70 litres onboard. Sansepolcro also has 100LL, but I didn't need any. Venezia Lido has fuel as well.

BTW, upon landing at Portoroz, I realized that I could have technically (although not legally) avoided the fuel uplift at Massa. That means I could have flown from Luebeck (for those who don't know, that's almost on the danish border!) to Massa, then across most of Tuscany, up towards Venice and then to Slovenia on one tank!

For grass runways, as you know, it depends on a lot of factors, mainly runway surface condition, obstacles and aircraft weight. If I know the surface is firm (which is 99% the case in summer in Italy), there are no appreciable obstacles and fuel load is light, I normally consider 500 metres my minimum, even though I am normally airborne after 300-350 meters. For tarmac runways, it's a little bit less.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message