Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

La Rochelle LFBH and its Schengen-defying 48hr PN for all non-French flights

I was suggesting helping with our fly-in.

In general, we have been able to organise something along the lines where the airport police get all details in advance. This then avoids the need for individual PN comms, and the implicit need for people to know which day they will be travelling.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Am I missing something. Why do you need to communicate with the airport police in advance?
The bse is separate from the airport and I wouldn’t want to be responsible for people’s personal details like passport numbers etc.
I don’t think you need to do a 48 hr departure PN if you are flying to another Schengen country but you do if you are going direct out of the Schengen area.
On Skydemon Notams there is a direct link to the bse at La Rochelle and also to the codt at Bordeaux douaniers to send your PN emails. If you don’t come, just send another email cancelling.
The ILS and DME are both U/S at LFBH at the moment.

Last Edited by gallois at 24 Apr 20:40
France

I don’t think you need to do a 48 hr departure PN if you are flying to another Schengen country

A1470/22
CUSTOMS AND POLICE :
PN 48HR MNM FOR ALL INTERNATION EXTRA AND INTRA-SCHENGEN FLIGHT.
PRIOR NOTICE MUST BE SENT TO FLW MAILS :
BSE-LA-ROCHELLE(AT)DOUANE.FINANCES.GOUV.FR
CODT-BORDEAUX(AT)DOUANE.FINANCES.GOUV.FR
SPECIFY :
-CONCERNING SENDER : NAME, FIRST NAME, TELEPHONE, FAX AND E-MAIL
ADDRESS
-CONCERNING RECIPIENT : NAME, FIRST NAME, TELEPHONE, FAX AND E-MAIL
ADDRESS.
PRIOR NOTICE FOR DEPARTURES TO EXTRA-SCHENGEN, SPECIFY :
-DATE, ETD (LOCAL TIME), DEPARTURE AD, DESTINATION CITY AND COUNTRY.
PRIOR NOTICE FOR ARRIVALS FROM EXTRA-SCHENGEN, SPECIFY :
-DATE, ETA (LOCAL TIME), ARRIVAL AD, CITY AND COUNTRY OF DEPARTURE.
FOR ALL EXTRA-SCHENGEN AND INTRA-SCHENGEN FLIGHT, SPECIFY :
-INFORMATIONS OF ACFT: TYPE OF ACFT, REGISTRATION, COMPANY, NUMBER
OF FLIGHT.
-TYPE OF FLIGHT : VTOURISM FLIGHT, BUSINESS FLIGHT, FREIGHT OR OTHER.
-NUMBER OF CREW, NUMBER OF PASSENGERS.
-JOIN A LIST OF CREW MEMBERS AND PASSENGERS, INCLUDING NAME, FIRST
NAME, NATIONALITY AND THEIR PASSEPORT NUMBER OR IDENTITY CARD.
-INFORMATIONS CONCERNING FREIGHTS : TYPE OF FREIGHT, PRESENCE OF
SUM OF MONEY, STOCK AND VALUE, FREIGHT TO BE DECLARED.
REF AIP : AD 2 LFBH.AD.2.3

You can read that notam any way you like.

Since clearly nobody is going to call them, I will email them with a google translated email.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

The bottom line is that if a pilot from a Schengen country outside France wants to fly to LFBH but can’t or won’t do a 48PN and don’t want to drop into a small French airfield with no PN on arrival and departure, go elsewhere.

No, the bottom line is that the 48H PN is without legal basis (for intra-Schengen intra-EU flights carrying less than 10 000 EUR in cash or equivalents) and cannot be required; any NOTAM, any airport website, any mayor or préfet can write anything or issue any rule, it will simply not hold up when push comes to shove… if one is willing to go that far. And in the meantime, if they “feel like it”, they will have stripped the airplane, you and your passengers naked for an extensive search.

gallois wrote:

I would not suggest flying directly to LFBH without the 48hr PN whilst this Notam is in force.

When coming from the EU Schengen area, just do the PN now without specifying a date of arrival or departure, since that’s what the NOTAM asks…

ELLX

When coming from the EU Schengen area, just do the PN now without specifying a date of arrival or departure, since that’s what the NOTAM asks…

That should work indeed, just send PN with aircraft reg and that’s it
- Bring 9999€ cash to LaRochelle without declaring it
- You don’t have to provide pic & pax details if they are EU citizens

None of it will go very far (if “aircraft & pob are in free circulation” of course), you can still get into all sort of investigation by operations, problems with handlers or friction with security, so you may lose an afternoon but it’s fine to tell them they can’t pull a single nickel out of it, after all “c’est l’Europe”

PS: I would have been more careful if yesterday election results was different

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Apr 10:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Wasn’t there another thread on here where someone from Netherlands did not PN and received a heavy fine, or am I imagining it?

France

He did not 24h PN to Dijon (there is no AIP & NOTAMS, it’s even worse than LFBH)

I am saying an email like this sent at t complies with intra-Shengen PN to LFBH for any t+48h and covers you for any lifetime PN to LaRochelle…

“Hi, we are flying N321AB to LaRochelle, merci”

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Apr 15:29

While I did the PN “valid from now+48h to lifetime” to avoid discussions and losing time on the ground, after some prodding, I got in writing (in French) from the central douane office (not La Rochelle / Bordeaux, but the “contact the French douane” form on their website):

Notwithstanding NOTAM LFFA-A1470/22, no PN is required for a flight that fulfils all these conditions:

• Between an EU member state that is also in the Schengen area and La Rochelle (or any other French aerodrome)
  • Carrying only community goods
  • Carrying less than 10 000 EUR cash or cash equivalents
  • All crew and passengers are EU nationals

I doubt the last condition has any legal basis, but I will stop pushing them on that.

Last Edited by lionel at 25 Apr 16:39
ELLX

I got similar confirmation by phone while ago, for Sion to Toussus (which is outside customs union but within Schengen but if one fulfils all those conditions it’s ok, the AIP entry is wrong)

You may still lose time on the ground at LFBH without PN, but you can say this:

it’s fine to tell them they can’t pull a single nickel out of it

If aircraft & goods are not EU, the story is different and downside is huge !

The non-EU citizens case, falls under PAF (police) expertise you may want to get a different confirmation? especially, for PAX…

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Apr 17:01

Ibra wrote:

The non-EU citizens, falls under PAF expertise you may want to get a different co formation on that?

No, this also falls under the expertise of “Direction générale des douanes et droits indirects”, as it is in charge of “contrôle migratoire” at all border points where the “Direction centrale de la police aux frontière” is not present, which includes the majority of French PPF aerodromes. Note that there are 74 PPF aerodromes (see AIP France GEN 1.3, near the end), and the PAF is in charge of only 22 of them.

Image from: https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/fr/Archives/Archives-publications/Archives-infographies/Les-metiers-de-l-Interieur/Les-metiers-de-l-Interieur/La-police-aux-frontieres

See also https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv:OJ.C_.2006.247.01.0017.01.ENG&toc=OJ:C:2006:247:TOC and also the French AIP says:

(…) en partance vers ou en provenance de l’espace extra-Schengen doivent faire l’objet d’un contrôle transfrontières (…). En France, ces contrôles sont assurés par deux services de gardes-frontières : la Police aux frontières (PAF) et la douane.

Last Edited by lionel at 25 Apr 17:08
ELLX
Sign in to add your message