Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

La Rochelle LFBH and its Schengen-defying 48hr PN for all non-French flights

That what I meant. It is written like sh!t. And if I were a potential participant (coming from abroad), the quality of this NOTAM would discourage me even more. Easy to mess up with such wording in the NOTAM.

Anyway, due to the location of the meetup, I guess that there will mostly only be arrivals from France (nothing required) and from the UK (which need to put up with this stuff in any case) anyway.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Apr 13:42
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

due to the location of the meetup, I guess that there will mostly only be arrivals from France (nothing required) and from the UK

Also Benelux, Spain, and Germany

Clearly, this is a very definite case of where you send in the email and make sure they got it. But that’s not hard. Keep sending it in, google translated to French too, CC to the airport operator, until you get a confirmation.

If somebody there doesn’t like it, they have only themselves to blame.

I might even find a way to fax it

After all, we are going to La Rochelle, not the airport vending machine

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I found fax numbers for both the BSE La Rochelle and the CODT Bordeaux, if you really want to fax them.

ELLX

Their fax machines are extremely unlikely to be working. Also I have no fax receive anymore; one had to pay money for the number.

Administrator

I have to tell you I am not sure that LFBH much care what we think on here. In fact there is a body of opinion that thinks that the town of.La.Rochelle would be quite happy to see the airfield closed altogether.
In fact not so long.ago there was a strong rumour that this was the case and Ryan Air and other International.Flights were moved down to Rochefort LFDN for a while, despite the fact that there were no real passenger facilities there.

France

The NOTAM is extremely weird, as one understands once one tries to follow it. I can’t say the weirdness comes from translation, the French version is just as weird

You would be impressed that there is DGAC guide for AD operators on how to write NOTAmS in French & English and the wording has to be validated by someone from SIA, validate means: it can be understood by average golden retrievers like us

Joking aside, let me explain how you end up with that NOTMAS mess: for intra-Schengen, there is nothing in the law that says you need PN for LFBH, for non-PPF PN is not required (as per Art9) while for PPF some AD abuse it to require PN (as per Art5 assuming it’s what applies in temporary suspension of Schengen)

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/id/JORFTEXT000035871810

Now here is the fun part, the law does not say the format of PN details regarding intra-Schengen flights, so someone decided to go freestyle for extra-Shengen flights, the law is rather explicit on what details to send but the poor French to English translation did not help much, it looks better here in original version and yes I agree the part where you have to guess the recipient is indeed very odd but at least does not talk about the person names rather the department name “Coordonnées du destinataire du préavis : nom du service, téléphone, télécopie, courriel”

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/article_jo/JORFARTI000035871871

So what you are observing is not “weirdness” it’s someone trying to force PN for intra-Shengen but still lacks the legal basis on what is exactly required in that PN? Schrodinger Cat style of “weirdness”

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Apr 21:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Ibra, the French version of NOTAM LFFA-A1470/22 as given by OLIVIA asks:

INDIQUER :
-COORDONNEES DU DESTINATAIRE DU PREAVIS : NOM, PRENOM, TELEPHONE,
TELECOPIE ET COURRIEL

Not “nom du service”….

Last Edited by lionel at 23 Apr 17:46
ELLX

I was referring to the original version in the arrêté which has the list of bits that needs to be in “PN for extra-Schengen” (legally speaking), LFBH NOTAMS was an “artistic re-interpretation” of this then latter on they added an “intra-Schengen PN “ flavour of it out of the blue

Why they have to re-invent the wheel, I have no idea?

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/article_jo/JORFARTI000035871871

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Apr 18:32
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Remember when people used to write letters, seems a century ago now. But back in those times we used to head the letter with the name and address of the sender on the top on one side and opposite would be the name and address of the person or entity to which you were sending the letter.
Perhaps the creator of the Notam harks back to those days.
Is it a major problem? IMO no. I would rather know why they feel it necessary for pilots coming from the Schengen area to give 48hrs PN to bse at Bordeaux.

France

It’s not an actual problem, because it is just two emails to send out.

The problem is that a lot of people don’t like this “show your papers before you travel” business – like some (many actually) would not travel because they had to present a vaccination certificate (which most had but some, on principle, did not).

Administrator
Sign in to add your message