Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

If you were doing it all again....

There are a couple of Apaches for sale in Europe for very few money.

Apaches at Planecheck

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Hmmm

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Not really? That’s one of those underpowered death-traps where single engine aircraft are actually a lot safer than this kind of “multi engine” contraption. But not long and none will be left… Link

EDDS - Stuttgart

what next: I think they are just as safe as a single engine aircraft, if you treat this aircraft as a SE. Just with an engine failure in flight you have a better glide ratio with one engine still operating. Don’t confuse it with a real twin.

And it doesn’t look much better for SE aircraft : Link Link and Link

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I think they are just as safe as a single engine aircraft, if you treat this aircraft as a SE…

Yes, but why should one buy a twin and pay the high operating cost associated when all he gets for his money is a single with an extended glide range (and I even doubt that bit for the Apache)?
I have flown a lot and still instruct on the successor of this thing, the Pa44 Seminole. Using the same engines it is able to maintain single engine flight at 5000ft or better for as long as the fuel lasts. And they are not much more expensive to buy than those old Apaches.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Well in case of a PA23 – it’s a classic with touring capabilities. Why fly a Stampe or a Miles Messenger or a J-3? It’s a very beautiful aircraft, especially if kept original. And it has a huge payload. (680 kg for 5 seats). It’s not a first choice IFR tool, but there are many ways to find satisfaction in aviation.

Last Edited by mh at 05 Mar 14:34
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I once came very close to buying an Apache as a utility plane… The eventual choice was a lot more expensive (I wasn’t fully aware of the budget!) but the reason to consider the Apache was that its relatively easy to engineer cutting holes in unstressed skin covering the steel tube fuselage structure. The same would be true for an Aztec but the Apache under consideration had 180 HP engines fitted, already had an STC for the mods, and would do the job.

Otherwise I think the main reason to own an Apache is because its so cute and nonconformist it makes people smile. Rationality is the starting point, not the goal, in having a productive and enjoyable life.

The Apache is one of the few twins with Mogas approval. I therefore know of two aircraft that were purchased and operated on this basis

I’d love to have an Apache and tool around with at low level, VFR just for kicks. Maybe even IFR in VMC or near VMC conditions.
Take the odd trip with the family, hang out at grass fields and get some of the old school feeling, just like a Cub.
What in the world good or fun would it be to fly around in a Seminole? That’s like saying you could have a Tomahawk instead of the Cub…

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

What in the world good or fun would it be to fly around in a Seminole?

The fun lies in the fact that from the inside you don’t see what your aeroplane looks like from the outside, just like with cars It’s always better to sit in a Fiat 500 and admire the Ferrari in the queue before you than vice versa, especially when the fuel and maintenance bills come.

EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message