Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

If you were doing it all again....

I would have spent time with a friendly mechanic to clearly understand what every component of the propulsion system does and how various malfunctions impact operation of the aircraft.

I would also have paid better attention to the human factors training, as I pushed the boundaries too far on several occasions. Humility is indeed worth more than most other attributes for a pilot, ‘old, bold pilots’ and all that…

Finally, I would have been friendly to the old-timers when I started. I was too arrogant when I started, and only now do I understand that the people I meet are half the privilege (and enjoyment) of flying…

Last Edited by AF at 17 Sep 09:09

After the PPL, I wondered for years about getting the IR but overall I think it was a good idea not to get it. I wouldn’t be able to stay current now, or it would have forced into a certain lifestyle.
I wondered too about entering a GA lifestyle : moving close to the airfield, buy a cheap plane or even a project and spend all my time & money flying or working in a hangar.
But I chose to put God first in my life and never regretted it.

The only thing I would do differently is : instead of trying to make EuroGA main meetups, I should have taken 10 days with a plane, alone or with another pilot, and make a big flight trip where weather would allow, as far as possible from my usual zone (somewhere like Portugal, Poland or Norway). Not trying to discourage young members Peter

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 13 Sep 11:39
LFOU, France

I started training at age 15, soloed a C150 at 16 (plus zero days) but didn’t pass my Private check ride until age 39. Flying has been a slow, life long experience for me, and other than a few discrete steps (like buying a plane before I had a pilot certificate) I didn’t plan or do anything in particular to get wherever I am. I bought my second plane much like the first one, because owning it looked like it would be fun. I never planned the costs other than to make sure they would be relatively low, and well within what I could afford. As a result I don’t know what I would do differently, and can’t answer the question clearly. It’s not much different than trying to say how I would learn to walk differently.

Flying and owning a plane is not a means to an end for me, it is an end in itself that had no clear starting point and has no agenda other than to do whatever I can do what what I have. Almost everything else in my life is a ‘program’ and my flying is not, it’s an escape from regimentation in that regard.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Sep 20:19

If I was doing it all over again, I would not wait to turn 38yo to start my PPL training.

ESMK, Sweden

Indeed!

One can get back to flying later.

I would have not been able to fly before I got divorced and it was possible even then (having lost almost everything) only because the business had a very good run a few years later.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Welcome back @MedEwok, it’s great to see you here again.

EGLM & EGTN

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Having kids and becoming protective moma bears can totally change a person, male and females alike.

Fully agree with you @Mooney_Driver.
Still and luckily, the choice is anyone’s, Moma his oder her’s notwithstanding (I sure will not expand into this, as I think that is everyone’s choice, is to be respected, here and on similar sites).

I oriented my career and life towards aviation, in whatever form, and don’t regret a moment of it, nor would I do take any different (yeah, I’m more than lucky, but don’t wanna use any other word since I’m a non-believer) path.

I sure invested a lot into the Aviation World, but the ROI has been pretty good thanks

Last Edited by Dan at 06 Sep 22:25
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

MedEwok wrote:

I would have gotten my wife onboard with the new hobby from day one,

Since about a year or so ago, I have a new girlfriend which – on current standing – is most likely a long-term relationship. Before this all this got serious, I took her flying on a shortish x-country trip. She enjoyed it (first time in a small airplane, although she had been in helos before). We still joke that I ‘auditioned’ her for the role….

Good to see you again @MedEwok!

MedEwok wrote:

If I started all over again, I would have gotten my wife onboard with the new hobby from day one, and be more clear about my intentions to fly the whole family later and not just pick this up as a hobby for myself.

This is a problem many pilots know and which are rarely resolved. Even if you got your wife on board and all that, and I do recall those discussions then, there is no saying what happens next. Many spouses change over the years, often of no reason such as seeing a bad landing but simply due to changed life circumstances. Having kids and becoming protective moma bears can totally change a person, male and females alike.

MedEwok wrote:

Also in hindsight I might have done the PPL too early in life.

Nope. Thanks to EASA FCL you can always come back to it. But somehow I think in 10 to 15 years (e.g. when our all kids are grown up and we have time again) the world will be very different. Somehow I doubt that GA will still play a role or be affordable enough. Take what you can, while you can.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

LeSving quoted:

Also in hindsight I might have done the PPL too early in life

I got my PPL at 23, but gave up due to cost within a year. Returning to flying at 45, it proved it had been worthwhile. The difference was noticeable in Syndicate members who got their PPL later in life.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
84 Posts
Sign in to add your message