Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

If you were doing it all again....

Good to see you ‘started all over’ on the forum MedEwok, welcome back

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Thank you @aart ! After having been grounded for about a year due to lack of time on my part and a lack of flyable rental aircraft on the days I actually had time to fly, I have a plane booked for monday and thought it was a good time to revisit euroga :)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

aart wrote:

welcome back

I agree. I missed you, @MedEwok.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

MedEwok wrote:

Also in hindsight I might have done the PPL too early in life.

“Never put off for tomorrow what you can do today” There is no such thing as doing the PPL too early in life IMO. The basic flying skills will sit right there in your back bone. They may need some shaking and bending after a while, but they are never lost. In the mean time, your brain is still working on it, especially if you read stuff about flying, and think about it.

When you finally do have time again for flying, you have a gained a lot of knowledge and wisdom in the mean time.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving quoted:

Also in hindsight I might have done the PPL too early in life

I got my PPL at 23, but gave up due to cost within a year. Returning to flying at 45, it proved it had been worthwhile. The difference was noticeable in Syndicate members who got their PPL later in life.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Good to see you again @MedEwok!

MedEwok wrote:

If I started all over again, I would have gotten my wife onboard with the new hobby from day one, and be more clear about my intentions to fly the whole family later and not just pick this up as a hobby for myself.

This is a problem many pilots know and which are rarely resolved. Even if you got your wife on board and all that, and I do recall those discussions then, there is no saying what happens next. Many spouses change over the years, often of no reason such as seeing a bad landing but simply due to changed life circumstances. Having kids and becoming protective moma bears can totally change a person, male and females alike.

MedEwok wrote:

Also in hindsight I might have done the PPL too early in life.

Nope. Thanks to EASA FCL you can always come back to it. But somehow I think in 10 to 15 years (e.g. when our all kids are grown up and we have time again) the world will be very different. Somehow I doubt that GA will still play a role or be affordable enough. Take what you can, while you can.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

MedEwok wrote:

I would have gotten my wife onboard with the new hobby from day one,

Since about a year or so ago, I have a new girlfriend which – on current standing – is most likely a long-term relationship. Before this all this got serious, I took her flying on a shortish x-country trip. She enjoyed it (first time in a small airplane, although she had been in helos before). We still joke that I ‘auditioned’ her for the role….

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Having kids and becoming protective moma bears can totally change a person, male and females alike.

Fully agree with you @Mooney_Driver.
Still and luckily, the choice is anyone’s, Moma his oder her’s notwithstanding (I sure will not expand into this, as I think that is everyone’s choice, is to be respected, here and on similar sites).

I oriented my career and life towards aviation, in whatever form, and don’t regret a moment of it, nor would I do take any different (yeah, I’m more than lucky, but don’t wanna use any other word since I’m a non-believer) path.

I sure invested a lot into the Aviation World, but the ROI has been pretty good thanks

Last Edited by Dan at 06 Sep 22:25
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Welcome back @MedEwok, it’s great to see you here again.

EGLM & EGTN

Indeed!

One can get back to flying later.

I would have not been able to fly before I got divorced and it was possible even then (having lost almost everything) only because the business had a very good run a few years later.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message