Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much do you trust your best friend?

From the description

I spent just over 6 months working towards my private pilots license. I kept it a secret from most everyone. Especially this guy. I did a pre flight check on the plane before going to pick up my friend in order create the illusion that I had never flown before once I got in and started it up. The owner of the airport played along too. I wish I got it on video, but he told zach and I that he needed to make a phone call and that I could start the plane up the way he showed me how “one” other time. We get in the plane. I turn on the cameras, which I said were for insurance purposes in case of a malfunction. And proceed with my little prank. One we will never forget. Enjoy! More flight content to come.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Funny, I only watched that yesterday. The algorithm must have decided to give it some exposure. Great reaction from the passenger!

EIMH, Ireland

One has to be slightly dim to go for that one, but it is very funny idea

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hopefully not too big of a diversion, but this video is also another answer to the same question:

Or longer version (t/o is at 03:15)

This was a gorgeous one-of-a-kind Griffon-engined Mk XIV Spits. The pilot flew a Sea Fury to the location while his friend flew his owned Mk XIV to the same place. Then they swapped steeds with this unfortunate result. Two onlookers got minor injuries from prop debris but other than that no casualties. The pilot was extricated by dozens of hands lifting the airframe.

I am not sure I would trust my friend so much as to allow him to do his first solo on a Mk XIV so apparently casually on a return flight from an open aeroclub day…(or to accept my friend’s offer!) I guess reciprocity helped.

Last Edited by Antonio at 07 Jun 08:00
Antonio
LESB, Spain

dublinpilot wrote:

How much do you trust your best friend?

That would win me a divorce if I did that to my wife

Last Edited by Antonio at 07 Jun 08:23
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

This was a gorgeous one-of-a-kind Griffon-engined Mk XIV Spits. The pilot flew a Sea Fury to the location while his friend flew his owned Mk XIV to the same place. Then they swapped steeds with this unfortunate result.

Too much power too early?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes, combined with soft field and no prior type experience.
Some say they prefer grass for taildraggers, but I think smooth, hard grass or asphalt is better for a first solo…this coming from someone with no tail dragger experience, (unless Blanik and Twin Astir count!)

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Smooth grass is best for first solo in tailwheel – it’s forgiving of a little bit of side loading (the main wheels will slide a little, instead of grabbing and starting a ground loop like they will on grippy asphalt).

Andreas IOM

I used to fly a lot with a really experienced biz jet dealer who owned multiple turbine and piston engines. I was letting him fly the Cessna 180 I had at the time in the left seat. He made the announcement on short final “let me show you how they do it in Alaska….”

Suffice it to say, the result was not how they do it in Alaska.

Last Edited by WilliamF at 07 Jun 13:15
Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

I really hope, this video is fake!

If not, it is amongst the most stupid things someone could do: An unexperienced pilot bringing a passenger in a situation where it is completely unpredictable how he will react (from crying the entire flight to randomly manipulating controls in an attempt to stop what is happening…) is typically leading to disaster! Therefore if not fake they have been extremely lucky…

Germany
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message