Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much do you trust your best friend?

Frans wrote:

The video is even sponsored by the flight school,

Well, just because a Microlight Flight school does it, it doesn’t say it is safe … just look at the many overweight UL Instructors in Germany that can safely only fly with 40kg- students…

But more importantly: The video is cut – and if you look at the change in facial expression of the father between taxi and take off (about 4:25), it is highly likely that during this cut the son actually told his father that he made his license…

Germany

It must be the confidence the pilots radiate when they operate the buttons and levers and talk over the radio. I don’t think the passengers would have stayed this calm with the pilot taxiing like a drunk or the Dynon screaming OVERSPEED over the intercom.

And: Why are these really mean prank videos always coming from one of the ex eastern bloc countries?

EDQH, Germany

Well, a popular German video includes the same kind of a “surprise”, where a young man takes his father in an ultralight, without knowing he has a license. The video is even sponsored by the flight school, and I would not consider it as a fake nor as being dangerous.

The following “prank” video is by far more dangerous, where a pilot pretends to be unconscious, in order to scare (“prank”) the passenger for fun. That is highly unprofessional, insane, and very dangerous in my opinion. But if I watch other “prank” videos of these strange people, it seems that they do other very hard stuff to their friends. Something I would never consider to be a friend, or this is all fake (but even then, it’s not cool, because the pilot really DOES close his eyes).

Last Edited by Frans at 07 Jun 17:50
Switzerland

I really hope, this video is fake!

If not, it is amongst the most stupid things someone could do: An unexperienced pilot bringing a passenger in a situation where it is completely unpredictable how he will react (from crying the entire flight to randomly manipulating controls in an attempt to stop what is happening…) is typically leading to disaster! Therefore if not fake they have been extremely lucky…

Germany

I used to fly a lot with a really experienced biz jet dealer who owned multiple turbine and piston engines. I was letting him fly the Cessna 180 I had at the time in the left seat. He made the announcement on short final “let me show you how they do it in Alaska….”

Suffice it to say, the result was not how they do it in Alaska.

Last Edited by WilliamF at 07 Jun 13:15
Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Smooth grass is best for first solo in tailwheel – it’s forgiving of a little bit of side loading (the main wheels will slide a little, instead of grabbing and starting a ground loop like they will on grippy asphalt).

Andreas IOM

Yes, combined with soft field and no prior type experience.
Some say they prefer grass for taildraggers, but I think smooth, hard grass or asphalt is better for a first solo…this coming from someone with no tail dragger experience, (unless Blanik and Twin Astir count!)

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

This was a gorgeous one-of-a-kind Griffon-engined Mk XIV Spits. The pilot flew a Sea Fury to the location while his friend flew his owned Mk XIV to the same place. Then they swapped steeds with this unfortunate result.

Too much power too early?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

dublinpilot wrote:

How much do you trust your best friend?

That would win me a divorce if I did that to my wife

Last Edited by Antonio at 07 Jun 08:23
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Hopefully not too big of a diversion, but this video is also another answer to the same question:

Or longer version (t/o is at 03:15)

This was a gorgeous one-of-a-kind Griffon-engined Mk XIV Spits. The pilot flew a Sea Fury to the location while his friend flew his owned Mk XIV to the same place. Then they swapped steeds with this unfortunate result. Two onlookers got minor injuries from prop debris but other than that no casualties. The pilot was extricated by dozens of hands lifting the airframe.

I am not sure I would trust my friend so much as to allow him to do his first solo on a Mk XIV so apparently casually on a return flight from an open aeroclub day…(or to accept my friend’s offer!) I guess reciprocity helped.

Last Edited by Antonio at 07 Jun 08:00
Antonio
LESB, Spain
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message