LFMD, France

@peter
I believe it is.
Now, can someone ELI5 it please.

[ link added, to save a load of people asking what ELI5 is :) ]

always learning
LO__, Austria

quatrelle wrote:

Why did the round trip take 20 mins longer than planned ?

Because “the same two friends” changed name and gender the night before.

ESME, ESMS

I once attended an M.Ed lecture about research on the link between socio-economic background and the methodology of answering questions.

For example, a maths question:
“21 people are waiting in the hotel lobby to go their rooms. The lift has a maximum capacity of 10. How many trips does the lift make to empty the lobby”

Children from a more affluent background, and/or whose parents push them academically, will immediately see that the people, lift and hotel are irrelevant: it’s purely a maths question asking how many 10s are in 21 (21/10 and round up, or 10+10+1; either way the answer is 3).

However, children from the wrong side of the tracks are more likely to give a ‘real world’ answer, something like “10 in the first lift, some take the stairs, so 2 trips”.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

quatrelle wrote:

Why did the round trip take 20 mins longer than planned ?

The best way to understand this is by reduction to absurdum.

If the headwind on the outleg is equal to the TAS of the aircraft, the round trip time becomes infinity.

The anti-intuitive answer is: who said that the round trip time with wind has to be the same as the round trip time without wind? It isn’t. ANY wind in any direction will increase the round trip time and hence fuel burnt.

EDDW, Germany

I dont know if there is an answer, but if there is this must be fairly close !

Dimme wrote:

Because “the same two friends” changed name and gender the night before.

Here is another one I dont understand this either, it happened about the same time as Grexit

Is this tragic or comic?

ESMK, Sweden

@quatrelle that old chestnut impresses some people…

The problem with it is…. taverna waitresses don’t buy rooms in the local tourist hotels. The story incorrectly assumes that significant amounts of money go full circle in a very small place very quickly, which of course they don’t….. the waitress spends the money on 4G data and it leaves the village, thus the German is angry.

EGLM & EGTN

I think thats because the version I heard has a lady of the night involved, hence the room at the taverna…

Sign in to add your message