Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Funny random stuff

Jujupilote wrote:

Dimme, can you develop what you wrote ?

I wrote many things. Which one are you referring to?

ESME, ESMS

About the ATPL and PPL being exclusive from each other. Never heard of this but might learn something today

LFOU, France

Alright. I got my PPL. Then when I got my CPL, they took my PPL away. I also know of pilots who had their ATPL AoC and their CPL was taken away when the ATPL was issued. I don’t know what else to develop. There is no reason to hold both a PPL and an ATPL since the ATPL encompasses PPL privileges.

ESME, ESMS

Proof

PPL:

CPL:

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

There is no reason to hold both a PPL and an ATPL since the ATPL encompasses PPL privileges

Not sure I agree. They are separate licences and you should get to keep them both…
I have definitely seen licences which have both entries: PPL and CPL, each with their date of original issue.

You may lose a CPL and still get to keep your PPL, sort of a “downgrade”. But if you lose your CPL and there is no PPL, you end up with nothing.

Similar to how a Class 1 downgrades to a Class 2 and the reason why Class 1 certificates ALSO include a Class 2 even though the Class 1 by itself gives you also Class 2 privileges.

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 25 Mar 15:07
EDDW, Germany

Alpha_Floor wrote:

Not sure I agree. They are separate licences and you should get to keep them both…

Maybe you should, but you don’t.

FCL.015 (c): A person shall not hold at any time more than one licence per category of aircraft issued in accordance with this Part.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Alpha_Floor wrote:

You may lose a CPL and still get to keep your PPL, sort of a “downgrade.” But if you lose your CPL and there is no PPL, you end up with nothing.

How would you lose your CPL? The only way I can think of is to downgrade it to a PPL or simply give up flying altogether, in which case a PPL doesn’t provide much value.

Alpha_Floor wrote:

Similar to how a Class 1 downgrades to a Class 2 and the reason why Class 1 certificates ALSO include a Class 2 even though the Class 1 by itself gives you also Class 2 privileges.

As I mentioned CPL includes PPL privileges. If my class 1 expires then I can still fly privately on the “CPL” with class 2.

ESME, ESMS

Airborne_Again wrote:

FCL.015 (c): A person shall not hold at any time more than one licence per category of aircraft issued in accordance with this Part.

But that says, per category of aircraft.

So could you not hold a PPL with a SEP, and a CPL with a Type Rating?

I have definitely seen licences with both a PPL and a CPL on them, issued by the Spanish authority.

EDDW, Germany

Alpha_Floor wrote:

But that says, per category of aircraft.

In Part FCL, “category” of aircraft is Airplane, Helicopter, Sailplane, Balloon (not sure about Airship)

So you could have an ATPL (A), a CPL (H) and a PPL (S) (also called SPL)

But not a CPL(A) and an ATPL(A)

What you have on your PPL/CPL/ATPL is type or class rating. So you can have an A320 series type rating and a SEP class rating at the same time.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

I see.

So how do we explain the Spanish licences with both a PPL(A) and a CPL(A) on them?

Or is it just the Spanish authority doing whatever they want and disregarding EASA regulation (which wouldn’t surprise me…)?

EDDW, Germany
Sign in to add your message