Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA's new ATCO hiring policy screens out people who are too clever

One sees this sort of thing in many other professions / occupations, to screen out people who are considered over-qualified / who might question the perceived wisdom or question orders to risk their life. For example a PhD will almost certainly block your recruitment into the Army. But for ATC this is bizzare. You need smart people.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s fox news so I am careful. Also read about it on another website. According to some sources the „correct“ answers to the biographical questionnaire were distributed to a select group of people beforehand.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Fox News seriously believe that it has been scientifically proven that African-Americans have inferior intelligence to caucasians (that’s what they call white people over there) but political correctness forbids saying it out loud. I know right-wing republicans (short of being tea-party) who will tell you that with a straight face.

LFPT, LFPN

It helps to watch the whole video.

Administrator

Seems like someone has a political agenda to show how terribly, terribly bad it is letting politicians, especially left wing politicians, be in charge of something as “important” as the ATC. Besides, since when did the quality of ATC become determined by a questionnaire?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The commentator in this case is expected to have an agenda, it’s an editorial show. There are similar shows from every political point of view.

Everything on Fox News has a political agenda. It is the raison d’être of that channel. You cannot take anything broadcast by them seriously.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 04 Jun 18:23
LFPT, LFPN

And likewise other channels with other agendas. I can think of at least two, one of which is ridiculously in opposition. Living in a marketplace of ideas is actually quite a good thing I think the FAA issue being discussed in this editorial show is quite interesting, and feel free to draw my own conclusions.

BTW, alignment of stricter Constitutionalism in the US with racism is completely silly, and is good example of ridiculous ideas.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Jun 18:34

The real Q is whether that pre-qualification questionnaire, and the reported scoring system, is real. IF it is real, it’s a scandal. That sort of thing was done in e.g. South Africa, after the collapse of “white rule”, to push “white people” out of important jobs, and with the collapse of much of the country as a result. I know someone who comes from down there

Administrator

The rationalization would be that prior knowledge dilutes the FAA training. It’s been used for military pilot selection.

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message