Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Private hiring out a permit to fly aircraft

Not sure if I should post this here or in “flying”

I am looking to at last take the plunge and get a small, probably 2 seater, aircraft. I am considering buying something that I can either syndicate a few shares, max 4 others, or private hire out.

Some people I’ve asked say I should be sticking with CoA aircraft eg C150/152/HR200 etc etc and others say I ought to go the Rotax route to save on running costs etc. and have seen a reasonably priced SportCruiser for sale. Quite fancy the Sirius though but out of my budget until some second hand ones come on the market.

I had been told that I could only hire out a CoA aircraft but have just read in caa doc 8.5 states Annex II aircraft can only be hired if they are on a UK Certificate of Airworthiness or on a type approved Permit to Fly therefore I could private hire out an aircraft listed in BCAR Section A,
Chapter A3-7. Is this a list of aircraft types? Are LSA aircraft deemed Permit to Fly aircraft. Cannot find anything though probably not looking in the right place. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Thank you

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

I suspect that the concession will only apply to orphaned types that were formerly on a CofA. Certainly for homebuilt types there are no concessions except that you can form a group of 5% or greater shares and it can be considered as private. LSA is a US-only category and has no particular relevance in Europe.

Factory built aircraft below 600kg MTOW are generally certified under CS-VLA with a standard CofA, so rental is an option. I believe there may be rental options for sub-450kg microlights that are factory built, though I don’t know the details. Some certified VLA types such as Tecnams may also exist in kit-built form as PtF aircraft, so the rules will depend on which airworthiness category applies.

Forming a group is really a better option as all the pilots will have a vested interest in the aircraft, insurance will be less expensive and you will have the flexibility to use PtF aircraft.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

You can rent and rent out whatever aircraft you want. It is purely an insurance thing (who will fly it) unless you start a club, then things becomes a bit different.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving – my understanding is that what you can or can’t do with permit aircraft is down to the national aviation authority. I’m fairly certain that what you propose is not allowed within the UK.

The only permit aircraft I’ve ever heard of that are available for hire in the UK are the Tiger Club Turbulents. I presume they were factory built and originally had a CofA – G-info says that all of those whose registrations I can read were built by Rollasons.

I’d recommend a syndicate. You’ll be surprised at how many people will put up capital, then seldom fly.
Hiring-out is only for a business – if you want a part-time business go ahead.
As a part owner, I arrange for fuel/oil/battery charging/cleaning/tyre pressure. When I rent, I preflight, but expect owner to fix. Post flight I’ll only inform him.
And your insurance will be much higher than with named pilots.
If we get unlucky, before funds build up, we all have chipped-in and flown-off the debt. If someone I hired from says his charges were too low to even break even, guess what the response will be.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Thanks all

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message