Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How far are you living from your airfield ? (and How long to reach and what means ?)

About 40 km, 35 – 40 minutes by car. By public transport about 45 minutes, but then I need to change over from train to bus. Car is more convenient.

EHLE (Lelystad - NL), Netherlands

50+ miles on single carriageway, with 2 towns not yet bypassed. 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Then 30 minutes from (free) car park through security to the hangar. With 40 or 60l of Unleaded on a sack arrow.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

A three minute drive for me. I often hear the GA in the circuit and that makes me want to drop everything and get flying!

I try to fly at least once a week even a few circuits to keep the engine in good condition, being so close is really handy.

United Kingdom

To lszh 5 mins. Driving.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Unfortunately around 45 mins. There is Burbank airport closer, but the tiedown and hangar space there is much more expensive.

68 km from house to hangar, 35 to 45 min., depending on traffic and if i feel like driving fast …

20 mins’ drive for me.

In a VW with the software cheat not removed Justine got hers converted and it has lost enough power for her to notice.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

3km, 5 min by car maximum from door to door with a luxury of a remote controlled gate at the airport. Plus, my maintenance hangar is 50m from my hangar.

LKHK, Czech Republic

15 min by car, sometimes even just 10 min with less traffic.

France

Jujupilote wrote:

I am sure it affects a pilot’s flying, especially on the long term. The longer it takes to drive to the field, the less opportunities you may seize to go fly and enjoy some good weather.

I agree with that.

It appears that duration is quite widespread, between those who have the incredible luxury to walk to their aircraft (or bike), and those who are in the 50min + ballpark.
I mean 50 minutes makes you think twice before taking the road. Going for short training, or few circuits, or just feel the air by the edge of the runway, is made much more difficult I think. To be fair, my 30-35 min ride is just something too painful sometimes, and I will choose to do something else.
Of course, those who fly for a living, will have a different point of view.

What is interesting too, is that some of you work nearer to their airfield (than they live).
In my case, the 35 min ride from home, becomes 50-60 min from work. So, going to the airfield after work is something I barely do, whereas when days are long, this is just ideal !

achimha wrote:

Waiting for the self driving car

Either moving near the airport, or get the self driving car. Please report when you’ve tested a descent product

@Maoraigh wrote:

50+ miles on single carriageway, with 2 towns not yet bypassed. 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Then 30 minutes from (free) car park through security to the hangar. With 40 or 60l of Unleaded on a sack arrow.

That’s impressing. Haven’t you ever felt discouraged ?

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 04 Aug 08:08
Sign in to add your message