Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

eddsPeter wrote:

I never had a problem with that.

I experienced it with a GNS530W. Which navigator do you have?

EHRD, Netherlands

Which navigator do you have?

GTN 750, doing the data transfer with the Flightstream 510

EDDS , Germany

What is the status of opening and closing I, Y, and Z flight plans in FF?

Sweden

It’s only available in ForeFlights for flight plans in US

AFAIK, AutoRouter allow to send DEP & ARR messages for I, Y, Z-FPL (using chatBot “DEPARTURE 1500” & “ARRIVAL 1600” commands near EOBT & ETA), SkyDemon can send ARR for V-FPL

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Apr 21:39
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Cttime wrote:

What is the status of opening and closing I, Y, and Z flight plans in FF?

As far as I know there is no status for opening and closing I, Y, and Z flight plans in FF.

ForeFlight has the ability in the US to activate and close VFR flight plans, primarily because Leidos (who operates the FSS in the CONUS) provides an API to flight plan filing companies such as ForeFlight. IFR is fairly standardized internationally, but VFR is all over the map. There is no ability to close IFR flight plans anywhere in ForeFlight. On an IFR departure release, the initial contact with ATC activates the IFR flight plan and at airports with an operating control tower, the tower closes the IFR flight plan. For arrivals at non-towered airports, IFR flight plans are closed by the pilot, either over the radio or via telephone. From the wording in ICAO DOC PANS ATM 4444, the responsibility for sending an ARR or DEP message falls on the ATS unit to send the message to an ACC or FIC and only “if required by that unit”. So it is not clear what sending an ARR message would actually do. Similar wording is in he Eurocontrol IFPS Users manual: “Where an Arrival message (ARR) is required for an IFR/GAT flight or part thereof operating within the IFPZ, the appropriate air traffic services unit shall submit such to the IFPS for processing.” The IFPS is laying the requirement on the ATSU to generate the messaging.

So it might work or it might not if ForeFlight were to send the message instead of the ATSU to the ATSU and/or to the ACC/FIC. If you think this capability is feasible, I would suggest sending an email to [email protected] requesting the capability. You won’t get a commitment to do this, but it will be passed on to product management. for their evaluation and consideration. Pilots requesting features is how many updates are eventually added to the product.

KUZA, United States

I still find I need to check autorouter.aero as FF doesn’t appear to provide a sensible routing. This example is Oxford EGTK to Lelystad EHLE.

autorouter.aero provides an IFR to IFR validated route:

EGTK N0158F080 IXURA DCT DTY L10 BUZAD/N0158F090 L10 BPK/N0156F090 Q295 BRAIN P44 CLN/N0156F050 DCT IDESI DCT ABNED DCT ODVIL DCT PELUB DCT NIGUG/N0156F030 DCT NYKER/N0153F030 EHLE

FF solution is only IFR to the Netherlands FIR where it switches to low level VFR.

EGTK N0158F110 IXURA DTY N0158F090 L608 CLN P44 RATLO M197 REDFA which is mid channel and then low level VFR

Why does a voluntary payment site seem to generate several valid routes, while FF doesn’t?
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@RobertL18C is your aircraft and equipment specified correctly in ForeFlight?

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Snoopy good question

ICAO Equipment G R S Y

ICAO Surveillance S

ICAO PBN A1 B2 C2 D2 L1 O2 S1

Emergency ELT

Basically Mode S 8.33 non WAAS/EGNOS IFR GNSS plus DME

I always crosscheck routes at FF and AR and in majority of cases AR gives better routing. However, usually it’s just few miles and in practical flying doesn’t make much difference due to usual directs you get during actual flight. But in cases when the difference is substantial or FF generates some doggy route or when FF is not able to get route at all, I report the case to FF and they fix it. Obviously, improving routing algorithm is constant work in progress.

Last Edited by Emir at 04 Jun 05:54
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I report the case to FF

Hi Emir do you have an e-mail you use to report poor routing?

Sign in to add your message