Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why is aviation so full of persnickety characters?

gallois wrote:

Now I am really confused. I don’t get how saws, windows, the difference between boys and girls have anything to do with this.

Not much, except the making of stupid questions That is the same everywhere. It’s seems there exists a universal irresistible urge to make “tricky”, “clever”, “interesting”, “fun” questions instead of straight forward questions to test what you want to test; knowledge or understanding of the subject at hand.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

It’s seems there exists a universal irresistible urge to make “tricky”, “clever”, “interesting”, “fun” questions instead of straight forward questions

Present company excepted of course……

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

As White Waltham is 10nm west of Heathrow, and half inside the London CTR we need to know another airfield’s QNH :-)
(with QFE for circuits etc set to QNH – 5).

I have never been to Blackbushe, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they did something similar.

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

kwlf wrote:

Well, clearly. But why should the convention be to fly on the right of the feature rather than the left? My intuition is that it’s likely to be an old, old rule.

My intuition is that it’s an old rule rather than an old, old rule!
Dating back to the first aircraft with side-by side seating and the pilot on the left, rather than the very first single seaters?

Seems we are discussing different things. One is the original thread, the other is an off topic thing that happened way back in 2015

LOL

Digging up old threads, isn’t that considered bad behavior on most forums?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It’s OK if it is broadly on the same topic.

There are 2 approaches with a forum: maximise traffic (for advert clicks) or maximise information value. On EuroGA we go for the latter. Most forums go for the former and allow even totally identical threads over and over.

Also note that most forum packages don’t support thread merging in a useful way. One software I looked at in 2019 (for EuroGA, before decoding to continue with the existing code) would dump all merged-in posts at the end of the destination thread, regardless of chronological order.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

the other is an off topic thing that happened way back in 2015

Sorry, I didn’t notice the six-year gap between the two posts!

DavidS wrote:

Sorry, I didn’t notice the six-year gap between the two posts!

Here was me thinking I was going nuts again……

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

LeSving wrote:

Digging up old threads, isn’t that considered bad behavior on most forums?

I dont have a problem with replying to a thread that is only a month or so old, even up to a year maybe… but I have noticed @Peter will sometimes merge a new thread with something many years old and suddenly you cant work out where the thread went and why there is a different discussion about something many pages long that appears to make no sense – and then you notice the date… If I see this it means that the last post would have been at least 3-4 years ago

The swiss thread is a good example of a) why this is good – lots of info all in one place. b) why this is bad – there is handling/fee info which is over 10 years old and no longer applicable.

Regards, SD..

Sign in to add your message