Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why is aviation so full of persnickety characters?

I have noticed @Peter will sometimes merge a new thread with something many years old

The real problem is that most people never use the Search function

and suddenly you cant work out where the thread went

Normally, I insert a @ username tag in the new location to alert the poster that his post was moved. So why didn’t this work? A lot of people have duff email addresses, or joined up with a bogus email address (nowadays that is a lot harder; I don’t approve new members to post if they did that, and the system checks the email address of new joinups against a list of about 2000 disposable email addresses) or just never read their email.

over 10 years old and no longer applicable.

That’s why people should contribute to our airports database Many do of course, but many more could and don’t, and some do but not usefully; the other day a Guest with a PA46 created an entry which omitted all the costs he/she paid. Unfortunately, a Guest can’t come back and edit the entry afterwards; that is the price paid for having a Guest facility which enables people to contribute to our database without getting excommunicated on their usual forum

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Normally, I insert a @ username tag in the new location to alert the poster that his post was moved.

Interestingly I never get the email when someone puts @ in front of my name. I’ve come across a few by chance and never got the email. But I do get PMs and flyin notices.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Interesting. I get loads, and it is readily apparent in general that others do also.

All go out via the same system, using a 3rd party email server to avoid the standard blacklisting issues with running own smtp servers.

However, the automatic “@…” notifications are obviously a different text from PMs and may look more “machine like” and thus get dumped by your ISP filters. See link below, and others, re whitelisting euroga.org.

Fly-in emails are sent from a separate system which uses DKIM signing. This one costs real money and has usage caps on it which is why we don’t do mailshots all the time. And any email system which is dumping those is crap (still, some do).

Also check this in your Preferences

Administrator

I’ve that unticked because I don’t want notifications about new posts.

Receive Watch Notifications 

Do you want to receive a notification whenever a new post is made on a thread you’re watching or a thread is started in a topic you’re watching?
EIWT Weston, Ireland

Maybe the two functions are on the same tickbox? You won’t get notifications on new posts unless you explicitly follow a thread.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

That’s why people should contribute to our airports database

I always look at database for recent reports before searching trip reports at forum. The other they I looked for info LFBO and found nothing and, after asking here, I got reply on recent visits. I understand that sometimes is boring to fill in the form but this is really useful for many forum members.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Filling in the form is very quick once you have done one before, because the browser remembers the previous stuff like aircraft type.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Filling in the form is very quick once you have done one before, because the browser remembers the previous stuff like aircraft type.

Let’s see how many fly-in participants will fill-in report for LESU

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
98 Posts
Sign in to add your message