Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Peter wrote:

I thought this was amusing. Comms with a German shop:

Depressingly common behaviour by customer “service”. They stop reading after the first line.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Lots of people are having problems with all the BS that’s being published – example.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi there!

I just passed my PPL skill test, and after 18 months of waiting around finally managed to finish this first step. I travel often to the UK, and would like to fly in G-reg aircraft with friends and by myself over there. I hold an EASA Part-FCL PPL issued by the Portuguese NAA, and was told unofficially that I cannot directly log hours flown on G-reg aircraft on my logbook, despite having the CAA Certificate of Validation.

Does anyone know if there is any requirement for my issuing NAA to “approve” my G-reg flying before I register it on my logbook? It seems that it is impossible to get in touch with ANAC.

Thanks!

LPCS, Portugal

ilyas wrote:

I just passed my PPL skill test,

First, congratulations! You have a great voyage ahead of you.

Does anyone know if there is any requirement for my issuing NAA to “approve” my G-reg flying before I register it on my logbook? It seems that it is impossible to get in touch with ANAC.

Of course you can log G-reg aircraft time and you don’t need any permission from your NAA! Did someone at your NAA tell you that?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A_and_C wrote:

As you might have noticed the U.K. is no longer part of EASA and the U.K. CAA is taking a much more pragmatic view on aircraft modification.

If you can show this as a safety enhancing modification that has no direct effect on safety critical systems it is very likely they will accept this as a minor modification.

@A_and_C, could you please provide a reference to the regulation?
Thanks!

EGTR

Airborne Again.

My experience with EASA is very mixed, I did have an issue with EASA administratively blocking fitting of safety equipment for no technical reason.

In line with EU policy in general the head of EASA dod not reply to my letters until sent recorded delivery and I said that the next stop was my MEP. Even then he got an official to reply, the guy was quite frank and said no one in EASA wanted to touch the issue because it made perfect technical sense but was administratively difficult.

I like to think that my letter and others like it spurred on the publication of CS-STAN however EASA is still bound by strict rule following with little pragmatic interpretation of the rules.

The U.K. CAA seems to be taking a far more pragmatic approach to modification, now free of EASA things are looking up , I would like to tell you more and give examples but at the moment commercial confidentiality prevents me from doing so.

The U.K. CAA attitude is refreshingly different from the petulant and vindictive attitude of EASA that is no doubt at the directive of Brussels political masters.

I see a great future for U.K. GA if the CAA continues along this pragmatic and safety case road.

A_and_C wrote:

I see a great future for U.K. GA if the CAA continues along this pragmatic and safety case road.

@A_and_C, well, agree to disagree – ALMOST all my experience with UK CAA is not good. And initial indications on new things like: no to BIR rating, almost all of the things surrounding MOR/CAS processes, no to NPA 2020-02 and attempts to push all the drones into the airspace used by GA shows me just one and only thing ONLY – UK CAA have not changed. Period. Pragmatic my ass.

PS: They might be good towards the “industry” – airlines/business jets, military, drones and a/c manufacturers, all others appear to be considered “kindergarten” and treated accordingly.

EGTR

EGTR

I will be happy to give you the details in a week or two………. Right now I have bigger fish to fry.

A_and_C wrote:

The U.K. CAA attitude is refreshingly different from the petulant and vindictive attitude of EASA that is no doubt at the directive of Brussels political masters.

In which case, why is the CAA proposing to heap a whole bunch of restrictions on who can be an LAA inspector, imposing CAT-style regulations on them? A system that has worked well and safely for many years, allowing safe, flexible, and cost effective maintenance oversight? Is it just a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing?

Last Edited by alioth at 14 Feb 09:37
Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

the CAA proposing to heap a whole bunch of restrictions on who can be an LAA inspector, imposing CAT-style regulations on them?

@alioth, could you elaborate? Maybe in another thred, somewhere in Non-certified? Did not know that… Thanks!

EGTR
Sign in to add your message